ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit a boulder, gears are stiff and emission light on.

Clio 172 Sport
Just got back in from work, on the way home there was a rather large rock in the road that I didn't see due to the car in front of me. Went straight over it and it's smacked something under the car really hard. Now, it's difficult and stiff to change gear (although all gears are still selectable), there's a bit of a rattling noise while driving and just as I got home my emmisions light came on.

I've looked underneath the car and there's no obvious sign of any damage. I'm assuming the rock has bent or twisted something and possibly hit the exhaust too. Anyone got any idea of where I should be looking or things to check. Also, need the car to get to work, is it ok to drive with the EM light on.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: Bit a boulder, gears are stiff and emission light on.

Probably hit the gear linkage and the lambda sensor. Check both thoroughly for damage.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: Bit a boulder, gears are stiff and emission light on.

Easy fix if it's damaged?

If they're damaged, the lambda sensor would need replaced and the gear linkage would need replaced at worst case. Not overly hard but any garage would do if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Lambda's can be a sod to get out. A really good fitting 6 sided deep socket can be a worthwhile investment if there is space.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Lambda's can be a sod to get out. A really good fitting 6 sided deep socket can be a worthwhile investment if there is space.

How do you fit a deep socket over the lead coming out the sensor?

Ive never had too many problems getting them free. Soak with WD a good bit before, give it a few knocks with a hammer then get it there with a good fitting spanner.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Disconnect it? I assume by your comment the Clio multi-plug is too big. I have cut the plug off if the sensor is scrap in the past and it's a big plug. Cheap six sided sockets work far better than cheap ring spanners.