ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hit a wall

monaco 172
Well car has been playing up recently where the clutch won't disengage properly.

So I took it to halfords auto centre today because I couldn't get it into gear and as I was parking I hit the wall like a numpty. I only clipped the corner and the entire thing fell down. The car is hardly marked and the wall looked like I could have probably pushed it over with my little finger..

They took my name and number and said they'll have a look at the insurance.

I was driving the other half's car which I am insured on via her policy as a named driver.

I also have my own insurance for my Clio.

1) how do they start the claim process?

2) will it destroy my no claims discount or the other half's?
IMG_20130413_134551_zps4ecfb57a.jpg

GT 86
Do you not have a mate or know someone who is a brickie, just tell them you will have the wall re built. it doesnt look a big job to be honest, especially if you were to do the labouring. Saves claiming on insurance :(

Last edited:
  monaco 172
I will get somebody to rebuild it if they want to take it further. My excess is about 600 quid, a wall won't cost anywhere near that surely?

I will have a word with some local brickies and see how much they would charge..

GT 86
I will get somebody to rebuild it if they want to take it further. My excess is about 600 quid, a wall won't cost anywhere near that surely?

I will have a word with some local brickies and see how much they would charge..

As Dan said if thats the total length you have in the picture £150-£200 and thats if you dont get mates rates.The original looks like a bodge any way, the pillar doesnt even look as though ot was tied in.

monaco 172
Yeh there might be a tad more but not a lot. It was only about 5 bricks high aswel.

On the blower to some of the lads in the trade now so I'll see how it goes.

Can they force me to go through the insurance?

Can't believe the entire thing came down though

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah a bricky will sort that for not a lot. Weather takes its toll on walls and its only single skin so doesn't take much to fall down. Surprised it took the pier as well though.

monaco 172
Oh well.

I'm not too fussed about the cost of the wall its more my insurance I'm worried about. Excess is close to a 1000 I believe, I don't mind paying for the repair on the wall.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You deffinitely want to try and avoid going through the insurance.

About 2 years ago the clutch went on my winch (recovery truck) and a 2.5 V6 Alfa Romeo V6 (Big and heavy!!) rolled down my truck at what seemed like lightening speeds. It ploughed through a table and chairs in the customer waiting area and destroyed a 4 block high breeze block wall. Smashed it to bits.

Thankfully I put a lot of business the building owners way so he accepted my offer of getting the wall rebuilt. Cost me £80 for a mates days wages and he stole some blocks off site for me. The alfa was mine so I just washed the brick dust off and sold it cheap! lol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You need to contact them and tell them you want to pay for it ASAP.

If they contact their home insurance, and pass on your car details it will set in motion a claim. Even if it doesn't go through it's likely to be kept on file and you'll have to declare it for up to 5 years then.

monaco 172
Right OK. So if I ring them Monday morning as they are shut tomorrow and explain I would like to pay for it and see how that goes..they can't force me to claim on the insurance surely?

180.5 bhp 172
Right OK. So if I ring them Monday morning as they are shut tomorrow and explain I would like to pay for it and see how that goes..they can't force me to claim on the insurance surely?

They can refuse your offer of rebuilding the wall. Its 100% down to them how they want to go about it.

If they want to claim on your insurance, they will. Nothing you can do about it.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
It'll cost more than that to rebuild the wall.

Agreed, not all of the bricks look like they can be reused so its likely to either be a ball ache sourcing reclaimed bricks so it matches in or taking the rest down and building with new bricks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't realise it was halfords wall, in that case they are probably going to want to go through insurance being a big company.

Bad times

FF Clio 182
I would go in and speak to the manager face to face then you could sort it between you. End of the day it's only a wall and if you pay to get it fixed, Halfords as a company don't need to get involved.

monaco 172
Car has just got a slight couple of scratches on it. Will probably buff off.

I will do if I can get out of work.

monaco 172
well they rang me this morning and said i can get a builder to nock it back up. So going to go down with a mate thats a builder and price it up.

FF Clio 182
well they rang me this morning and said i can get a builder to nock it back up. So going to go down with a mate thats a builder and price it up.

Best way to go! Would cost you about £100 but if you go through insurance you would have to declare it for the next 5 years

Clio 1.2 16v
Thought they might. Anything insurance related is a massive ball ache, not worth the Centre managers time and effort for a little brick wall.

monaco 172
yeh im happy with that tbh, going through insurance would have meant having to sell my 182.

i cant really afford a few hundred quid for a wall either, but its 100x better than the other option lol