ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit by uninsured driver help

M135i
My brother went and paid outright for a new car (£10,500) on Sunday only to have a guy go into the back of him less than 24 hours later, the car at fault is a total write off and I seriously think my brothers car might come to that if not a very big bill. Now the police were called and an ambulance came, checked insurance out and turns out the guy isn't insured on the car and it's registered to a guy up in Aberdeen (350 miles away). So he now has 6 points and a £300 but police said there's nothing left for them to do.

We we have rang the policy holders (up in Aberdeen) insurance and because the policy holder wasn't driving the car they say they have nothing to do with it.

anything my brother can do other than claim again his own insurance, loose his no claims and pay a big excess ( as he only has 7 day driveway insurance ATM) ? He's also now left without a car and cnt get to work as the 7 day insurance company don't cover for a courtesy car.

Btw he didn't look the sort of guy to have thousands in the bank to pay for the damage to be fixed.

what also doesn't make sense is the car had a private plate on which was the same name as the guy driving who was uninsured :S

Thanks for any advice

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I feel sorry for your brother, as I doubt there's anything he can do but claim on his own insurance as you say.

Really boils my piss when uninsured drivers get let off (6 Points + £300 fine), they'll be back on the road next week, while the victim has to stump up their excess and lose no claims bonus!

Something needs to be done about it really. Harsher fines, bans and jail time should be the minimum.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Makes you wonder what the point is of having insurance... really really does. I pay more than £300 for my insurance, every year - why should I bother if the once a decade I crash, I get fined £300 ?

I would speak to my insurer and see to sue the clown personally who crashed into me through my 3rd party liability legal cover.

He'll only pay his excess and lose 2 yrs NCB... hopefully.

Neil@greenlight .. any suggestions ?!

M135i
One thing I've just read up on is that another offence has been committed with it being insured still. Either the policy holder has given permission for this guy to drive it or he has 'stolen it'

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Something I've just thought about .. a friend had his car nicked, yet HE got fcuked over when the thief crashed it into a load of cars, insurance wise.

The thief was obviously not insured .. so the people who got hit claimed against the insured owner.

Also another friend had a similar thing to you - got hit by a drunk, uninsured. Claimed against the owner of the vehicle, not the spoon driving it.

If it's insured by someone else, claim against them. Job done.

Get on to your/his insurance ASAFP.. how do they not think of these things ?!

Ford Mustang 5.0
Makes you wonder what the point is of having insurance... really really does. I pay more than £300 for my insurance, every year - why should I bother if the once a decade I crash, I get fined £300 ?

I would speak to my insurer and see to sue the clown personally who crashed into me through my 3rd party liability legal cover.

He'll only pay his excess and lose 2 yrs NCB... hopefully.

@Neil@greenlight .. any suggestions ?!

If the person who owns the car has it insured you may be able to claim from them as you are an inncent party and they insure the car. If the OP wants to drop me a PM id be happy to make a couple of quick calls tommorrow on his behalf to see if i can find anything out for you. Not sure if you are insured with us but i dont mind either way.

Do you know if the driver was convicted of no insurance or vehicle theft?

Cheers
neil

This angers me so so much. As mentioned. Where's the deterrent for no insurance.

Cricket bat jumps to mind but I'll shut up before I say something really silly.

Clio 172, Pug 106
Get in contact with the Motor Insurance Bureau.
They should be able too help!

I will also have a word at work tomorrow...
Out of interest... who are your insurers?

Hope you get it sorted, this is terrible!
This angers me so so much. As mentioned. Where's the deterrent for no insurance.

Cricket bat jumps to mind but I'll shut up before I say something really silly.
I'll say it for you, un insured drivers deserve a f*cking good kicking, they are complete scum.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I believe the government have a compensation scheme for being hit by an uninsured drivers also.

Other than that, follow Neil's advice.

If the person who owns the car has it insured you may be able to claim from them as you are an inncent party and they insure the car. If the OP wants to drop me a PM id be happy to make a couple of quick calls tommorrow on his behalf to see if i can find anything out for you. Not sure if you are insured with us but i dont mind either way.

Cheers
neil

This is why I like this place , top people like you helping out just to help! Credit to you mate

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
A friend of mine was purposely hit by a drunk driver and he got a nice pay out but it took about a year lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
MIB can claim through last insurers on record but it can take a very long time so it's best to tell them to go down that route straight away.

MIB/any insurer/police will be able to find out who the last insurer was through the motor insurers database.

Third part allegations will be sent to the other insurer and then let the wait begin. Expect to have to do a lot of chasing yourself

I used to have the pleasure of logging these some times and MIB claims were usually a couple of years old

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh and there's a good possibility you won't lose your no claims if it's proven the other driver is uninsured.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Depends if it's the lines of churchill who off the cover. Place I used to work for you would loose 2 years if they had to pay out anything on the claim.

Ford Mustang 5.0
I Dont work in our claims department so dont take this as definate but i think Motor Insurer Beaurea only indemnify if you are TPF+T or TPO cover. If you already covered fully comprehensive i think it will have to go through own policy.

Best bet is to see if you have Legal cover on your policy and get them to contact the insurance company who insured the vehicle that hit you. They may end up paying for it.

The person who drove the car uninsured would of either been convicted of IN10 (driving car without insurance) or UT (unauthorised taking of vehicle).

If they only received an IN10 offence the owner of the vehicle that let him drive uninsured would probably received an IN14 (aiding/allowing someone to drive your car uninsured).

Hope you get it sorted eitherway

Neil
Greenlight

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers
neil
Basically what we did when that bird reversed in to my other halfs car.

M135i
Cheers guys. The driver has received 6 points and a fine so been convicted of driving without insurance.

The address of the policy holder of the insurance on the car was to a royal Toby carvery up in Aberdeen so gave them a ring and apparently the policy holder hasn't worked there for over 3 years so maybe some insurance fraud going on aswell in here.

Aviva who my brother has the 7 day insurance came to collect the car the same night as the car wouldn't lock so was in secure. They rang back today saying the bill with be about £3000 and have said they will give it back by 9th April so a fortnight away.

Ford Mustang 5.0
If its on the 7 day drive away insurance that normally isnt NCB rated as they give you the free 7 days regardless of your NCB level.

So his NCB may still be intact?

I got your PM and did try and call you yesterday to give you some advice but the person who answered didnt know who you were or who i was :dapprove: