ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hitting limiter before the red line in second

182 and cherokee 4.0
when i am flooring my car the limiter is kicking in at around or just before 6,000 revs. this only seems to be in second gear and is noticably earlier than it used to. does anyone know what could be causing this???

The car has just been serviced and i put on an induction kit recently. could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The limiter comes in early if the engine oil is not up to temperature.

Its like a safety cut in thing.

Drive the car for a good 40 minutes first before you give it beans, and you should wind it right round no problems.

PH1 172 Sport
I would say 40 minutes is a bit overkill. Otherwise surely most people would never get to drive there car over the first limiter?

I find 20 minutes to be sufficient.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
oil temp should be at its peak after 10-20mins of driving, if its not the limiter will cut in early to prevent internal damage in the long run. If u want something that doesnt limit get a carb car

182 and cherokee 4.0
i always used to kill it from getting in it to be honest and it never used to do this

106 GTi
10-15 mins should be fine to get oil temp. Renault really should have fitted a oil temp gauge they are damn handy.

182 and cherokee 4.0
so you think that is the only thing it could be? seems strange that it doesn't kick in early in 1st gear

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
i always used to kill it from getting in it to be honest and it never used to do this

This isnt a good idea mate, the components have to warm up, the oil has to reach optimum temp before you spank its wee arse.

As said above mate, 10-15 mins, basically until the temp needle is where it should be:S

182 and cherokee 4.0
no worries mate. i will let it warm up tonight and see how it is. it definately never used to do it to this extent like. i know it used to sometimes kick in lower than others but never this low and this harsh it nearly smashes me through the windscreen