ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

homemade intake design

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i have been thinking about all the mods to make the 172/182 faster for a long time and i have come to realise one thing! its stupidly expensive, and one other thing is that enless you have throttle bodys, then you cant really gain from diff intake setups, ie the 200 pound viper kit, which most people say looses you power. so your probobly left with a pannel filter which is very dull and will get you all of 0.5bhp. so i have been reading the haynes 4 stroke NA tuning guide which is huge, and came across a good simple intake setup.

using a half box made out of stainless steel acting as a big heatshild and some good CAFS fed into it. this will genarate a big cold air box for i cone filter to sit in. i am still only toying with the idea and as im at work, have drawn up a quick diagram on paint.... thats right paint. so its s**t but should give you a indication of what im planning:

intake1.jpg

here you can see the box (not 3D) where the intake pipe comes though then a cone filter, then a large CAF coming from underneath the box (the gray hole) and maybe anougher CAF somwher else?

so not really a blueprint just a idea,

all therys and comments welcome

note: just noticed it looks like the CAF is at the top of the box, its not, the filter sits inside the box, the hole is underneath

aditional note: this isnt like the K&N gen 2 setup, i mean almost a full box but with the lid removed, or maybe not even the lid removed

Last edited:
Some people think it would reflect but when I had a metal heatshield, once it was hot it stayed hot for a while! With plastic and two layers side by side like mine, one side gets warm whereas the otherside stays cool!

Some people think it would reflect but when I had a metal heatshield, once it was hot it stayed hot for a while! With plastic and two layers side by side like mine, one side gets warm whereas the otherside stays cool!

Opps! Double post!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely unless you have something like a Thermos flask going on (double skinned with sealed air inbetween) the metal will just absorb the heat from the engine ?

If I were you .. I'd move battery to the boot / glovebox, and get a Ph1 airbox on there, widely known to be the best design for these 2.0s, with a nice shallow elbow bend onto the throttle body. IIRC airflow stays laminar around corners under 7 degrees ? But then you want a little swirl to mix the fuel to a nice stratified mix in the cylinder...

:approve:

Iceberg Ph1
Surely unless you have something like a Thermos flask going on (double skinned with sealed air inbetween) the metal will just absorb the heat from the engine ?

If I were you .. I'd move battery to the boot / glovebox, and get a Ph1 airbox on there, widely known to be the best design for these 2.0s, with a nice shallow elbow bend onto the throttle body. IIRC airflow stays laminar around corners under 7 degrees ? But then you want a little swirl to mix the fuel to a nice stratified mix in the cylinder...

:approve:

+1