ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horrific ticking noise when idle and driving.

Clio
Sadly my clio is making a horrible ticking noise and I'm really worried.

I made a big mistake as I've been checking my oil every month, however never letting it sit for a bit before checking. This, making me believe I've always had loads of oil.

Any way I was driving down the motorway at 60-70 and when I came off my car was making a terrible ticking noise.

I'm not sure if the two are linked however I've added more oil but the ticking noise is still there.

My clios only done 47k and had a new cambelt 14 months ago.

Someone please put my mind at rest... I feel like my beloved clio is dead.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20200313_130822.mp4
    15.1 MB

lancecup

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 cup
Lift the bonnet up and try find out exactly where exactly the ticking is coming from, it could be a number of things. Mine was making a terrible ticking noise and it turned out to be the engine lifting eye at the back of the engine had worked itself loose

You can't just add oil without checking the levels because you think it might be low - you need to leave the car standing for a while, so that the oil can drain back into the sump.

Do it in the morning before starting it up and see what the dipstick says, then add oil if necessary.

Have you been checking the oil level immediately after stopping the engine, then adding oil to the Max mark on the dipstick? If so, it's probably overfilled.

Clio 172 Cup
Definitely the above I always check mine on a morning on a level surface before starting altho mine has never used any oil fortunately

Clio
Apologies I forgot to mention that I did check the dipstick and filled to just below the max mark.

Hot engine oil will usually make it's way back down to the sump within 10 minutes. Never really seen much difference in leaving it over 10 minutes and over night, 100ml or so difference maybe. Done a lot of dipstick level testing recently after my bottom end went due to low oil.

Clio
Ok took it for a run today and found the engine to be less powerful, almost as if it was about to stall. Then my exhaust gas warning light came on flashing. Are these two linked?

Cheers for all the replies.

Al.

Clio
Sorry guys I have no idea how to check the spark plugs or how to plug it into a PC. How would I go about checking the plugs?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If your not confident best off taking it to a garage.

Otherwise you need a code reader and a multi meter plus various sockets/tools to remove everything.
Loads of tutorials on YouTube.

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Slipped a tooth on the Cam belt? I had a car do this and the Cam belt was split and stretched then it went.

Clio TCE 90
I have the same problem on my car now, EXACTLY SAME SOUND.

GUYS, Help me out here, what was it in this case?

Could it be timing chain tensioner?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same problem on my car now, EXACTLY SAME SOUND.

GUYS, Help me out here, what was it in this case?

Could it be timing chain tensioner?
What gen Clio is it? If it's the same engine as the OP it's belt driven I believe. Might be worth starting your own thread.

Clio TCE 90
What gen Clio is it? If it's the same engine as the OP it's belt driven I believe. Might be worth starting your own thread.
It is gen 4, model year 2014, 90 TCE and it does have a chain.
The sound is the same though, exactly the same.

Do you guys know if tensioner might cause this noise?
Makes sense that it works only after a while, since chains usually expand when warm, which would make sense.