ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot hatch advice

Just to counter Rallye-Kings comments, Ive gone the other way (Cup to a 306 Rallye) and I prefer the sturdiness of the 306 over the Cup. It feels much more solid, even if its 5 years older.

I also diasgree with the comment that the Cup has more low down grunt. In standard form, the Cup only comes alive between 5000rpm and 7000rpm. There isnt much below there. With a cat-back exhaust, it does improve quite a bit. The Rallye benefits quite a lot from a decent air filter as the standard one is very restrictive. Two slight mods give each car a decent improvement.

If the 306 is a dated car, what the hell is an old Clio? I think they look much older than the 306 does. The Clio, to me, looks older than a Lancia Delta Integrale (and the Lancia is actually 5 years older than the Clio!)

If youre stuck on getting a Williams, then buy a 306 GTI-6 too and use it everyday. Save the Williams for weekend fun. You could buy both for the price of a Cup. If you decide on the Cup, make sure you get a good one. There will be a lot with dodgy paint, mechanicals and rattling. Choose carefully...

The biggest thing that counted against me buying a 306 GTi-6 was the fact that lots of 306s in the range were given the bodykit & alloys due to the Focus getting released. It was a shocking idea to have TDs looking like GTi-6s. There are now sleepers tho which is a plus.

Street Triple R

Bikeman - no i dont think the 306 is dated really, i think someone else said it was

I think that all 3 of the (cup/306/williams) have their good and bad points, i expect they are all probably quite torquey, all being 2.0s, i like the fact that the 306 is a big bigger, and also has 6 gears, but then again i like the cup too, ive been in a couple and i think they are great - hard to choose between them as outright drivers cars

Cup is probably the better drivers car in ideal situations, and if its been built properly (not always the case).

306 is the better all round car for everyday use.

Just a word of warning regarding the Williams. If you do test one make sure you test a good example. And i dont mean a shiney no rust one. Try one which has recently replaced suspension parts, new tyres, brakes etc. I own Williams 0002 and it has covered 18,000 miles. This car will stay with a lotus elise on corners. Unbeleivable grip. My other Williams 200 had worn suspension, steering and brakes when i got it. It handled better than a normal car but wasnt in the Williams zone. If i drove the 200 without driving my other car first i wouldnt be that impressed. I feel this is the real reason some people dont rate the Williams as high as other cars such as the GTI-6 and cup in the handling department. They just havnt driven a car as Renault intended it. Milage also has little do do with it as 50,000 mile cars seem to have similar problems to 100,000 mile cars. I think its more a factor of age.

To really appreciate the williams drive the lowest milage, newest, best cared for Williams you can. If its done 50,000 miles and the shocks, bushes and springs, and steering column have never been replaced be prepared for it to be considerable underperforming.