ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot weather

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
I've heard stories about the 172 steering wheels melting e.t.c. but is there anything else that can be damaged due to leaving car in the hot sun all day?

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
It's not too clever for the actual paint of the car either. My dash gets silly hot but i always try and park in some sort of shade.

I don't know about Renault but VAG cars are put through a gruelling test program that includes months in Death Valley etc... so they should be able to take a few warm days over here....

well loads of roads have been closed off round here due to the tarmac melting...

so i guess if you park in the sun, you run the risk of your car becomming part of the road! :D

chiefsilverback said:
I don't know about Renault but VAG cars are put through a gruelling test program that includes months in Death Valley etc... so they should be able to take a few warm days over here....

we talking budget french crap though..

fUbAr said:
well loads of roads have been closed off round here due to the tarmac melting...

so i guess if you park in the sun, you run the risk of your car becomming part of the road! :D

Seriously??! take it your not from Scotland!

justinRT said:
Seriously??! take it your not from Scotland!

yep, seriously.

im from Bournemouth, currently 33 degrees :)

im off to Cyprus for 2 weeks tomorrow, seriously hot out there! :cool:

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
coinsidently, my 172 is nearly 5 years old and has not suffered from the melting steering wheel issues... I wonder if there is something else that influences it, like what people use to clean them e.t.c... I personally don't clean/polish the wheel itself, just the centre (airbag piece).

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Its given it to be 36 here tomorrow... jesus!!!

Its currently 30 in my office, but 20 in my server room :D

from Trophy 2 work van :(
I normally just put a little dog in my car for an hour, if it's dead by the time i get back I know it's a bit hot to leave my motor out in the sun!

KingTrophy said:
I normally just put a little dog in my car for an hour, if it's dead by the time i get back I know it's a bit hot to leave my motor out in the sun!
LOL, so wrong.

Nissan 350Z
nezza said:
coinsidently, my 172 is nearly 5 years old and has not suffered from the melting steering wheel issues... I wonder if there is something else that influences it, like what people use to clean them e.t.c... I personally don't clean/polish the wheel itself, just the centre (airbag piece).

I dont clean mine either, but the thumbgrips in particular are going soft and one has split, and looks a bit of a mess now.

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
my steering wheel has just melted(well the right hand grip has) and now it has split and warped and doesnt fit in the holder! also the leather has bubbled on the top and right hand side of the wheel!
does anyone no if u can buy replacment grips for the steering wheel?

This weather is a killer, be glad when we're back to the hard frosts of the winter tbh, least you can wrap up warm where as once you're sweating ya b****cks of your fucked in this weather

Tangoed Works
davo172cup said:
my steering wheel has just melted(well the right hand grip has) and now it has split and warped and doesnt fit in the holder! also the leather has bubbled on the top and right hand side of the wheel!
does anyone no if u can buy replacment grips for the steering wheel?

Get it done under warranty, my new steering wheel is on order from Renault atm.

133/225/CLS AMG
Can't think that it does too much damage, bearing in mind that on MeganeSport.net there are a few member in South Africa who get weather like this most of the time and their cars are ok!!!

Shouldn't metallic paint suffer less from the effect of the sun anyway???

I tend to stick a cover on my car which looks like a big foil bag, reflects the heat so shouldn't get too warm with that on it. :D

RB 200 Cup!
hmm makes me think i shouldnt put my car in the sun anymore - considering its black as well! Unfortunately dont have anywhere else to put it

- would wrapping in tinfoil help?

133/225/CLS AMG
You could wrap it in tin foil, might prove costly though haha.

I got my car cover in halfords, its kind of a material on the inside and silver waterproof fabric on the outside. Does glare a bit but protect from dust and crap as well as keeping it cooler. Next best thing to a garage I suppose.

Cost me £50 but thats Megane sized so might be cheaper for a Clio. :D