ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How accurate is the fuel gauge and on board trip computer on my car?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Sometimes i put my foot down, get in a little race with one of my friends or just in a hurry i notice my fuel gauge dramatically drops! Like for example say i'm on half a take saying i have 230 miles on trip computer, when i put my foot down like changing just before rev limiter the time i get into 4th the fuel gauge is at a quarter of a tank sometimes even less and it slowly rises until i switch engine off and restart it goes back to normal. Anyone got a idea on why it does this? Also sometimes say i have 147 miles on the trip computer sometimes by just adding a fiver or just turning my engine off the back on it could go up to 205 or 94 miles on it? It really F*cks me over because i actually never know how much fuel i have in my tank lmfao! Is this the same on all clio's or is there a problem?

535d / t5 caravelle
I average 280 miles to a tank, so I just go off that, my fuel gauge does not do that

when I fill up I reset my trip comp, so the mpg calc resets and gets a "better" reading but imo its pretty accurate.
filled up £50+ today and when I was on the motorway going to work the trip comp was reading 380+ miles left, cos im hitting 40 ish mpg on the motorway :)

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
when I fill up I reset my trip comp, so the mpg calc resets and gets a "better" reading but imo its pretty accurate.
filled up £50+ today and when I was on the motorway going to work the trip comp was reading 380+ miles left, cos im hitting 40 ish mpg on the motorway :)
I might have to start doing that, i've bee resetting it every few months but might make it a bit more frequent ! :)

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Its good cos even if you been driving like a nan for a month or two, it will be harder to change the mpg. So the sooner and more frequent it changes the better it will calculate :)
I dunno how but months ago i was rolling at 41mpg, used to bomb it everywhere, then since i reset it i've been driving like a nan and its goes from 38.9-39.1! s***s f**k'd up but i shall when i next fill up budd! :)

I get around 200-240 miles per tank honestly , but it's mainly around town and traffic! I have a decat as well! I've had people say mines broken , but I've had it on emissions I've checked everything ! It just depends on your driving and the areas ! I average between 19-29 mpg agains depends on driving !

If your on a run it it's easy to see 35mpg + and 350 miles a tank !

Clios only have a little fuel tank and they are good on fuel !

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
I get around 200-240 miles per tank honestly , but it's mainly around town and traffic! I have a decat as well! I've had people say mines broken , but I've had it on emissions I've checked everything ! It just depends on your driving and the areas ! I average between 19-29 mpg agains depends on driving !

If your on a run it it's easy to see 35mpg + and 350 miles a tank !

Clios only have a little fuel tank and they are good on fuel !

Beauty of a 182 aye! But fair enough! 19-29mpg, i really couldn't afford a 182 right now haha!
But what do you reccomend going from trip computer or fuel gauge?

Twingo Dynamique
I just drive it and watch the mpg, then when my fuel light is on or if i have a bit of money that week I'll just pop it in the tank. Happy days.

Beauty of a 182 aye! But fair enough! 19-29mpg, i really couldn't afford a 182 right now haha!
But what do you reccomend going from trip computer or fuel gauge?

Niether to be honest they are both rough estimates ! Fuel gauge IMO is best obviously of its on red fill it up mate , lol and the best way of calculating is see exactly how many litres you put in , the exact cost of fuel and then work out how many miles you've done and work it all out from there !
If your lucky enough to have a iPhone / smart phone there a app that'll do it all for you !

And agreed the running costs of a 1*2 is normally the killer , and the maintainence ! But believe it or not they are one if the cheaper hot hatches to run! My friend had a civic type R and admittidly drives it hard and sees 160 to a full tank £55! :S

1eight2
I drove from Middlesbrough to Manchester and back a few weeks ago with a bit of travelling else where but mostly motor way. Saw 355 miles. Normally average 310

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Niether to be honest they are both rough estimates ! Fuel gauge IMO is best obviously of its on red fill it up mate , lol and the best way of calculating is see exactly how many litres you put in , the exact cost of fuel and then work out how many miles you've done and work it all out from there !
If your lucky enough to have a iPhone / smart phone there a app that'll do it all for you !

And agreed the running costs of a 1*2 is normally the killer , and the maintainence ! But believe it or not they are one if the cheaper hot hatches to run! My friend had a civic type R and admittidly drives it hard and sees 160 to a full tank £55! :S
Sometimes my fuel gauge plays tricks with me one minutes its near red then on 1/4 of a tank! But that sounds like a look of hard work considering i have a cruddy blackberry atm! Might just keep a jerrycan in the boot haha!

I know my mates festia's are doing like 44-50 mpg i think which always makes me think what! But i suppose clio's do have a small tank and i can normally get around 450 miles out of a full one! But sure enough 160 miles to a full tank, i'd never want to put my foot down init!

53 Clio's & counting
As said it works of guestimating.

lets ay it shows you have 200 miles in your tank left, if you go for a thrash for 20 miles, it may then read you have 100 miles in the tank left - this is because it adjusts to your driving style and if you continue to drive fast the fuel in your tank will last you less than if you drive slowly.

Hense when you re-start the car it will usually have gone up, and if you drive slowly it may also go up as you decrease your fuel consumption.

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
As said it works of guestimating.

lets ay it shows you have 200 miles in your tank left, if you go for a thrash for 20 miles, it may then read you have 100 miles in the tank left - this is because it adjusts to your driving style and if you continue to drive fast the fuel in your tank will last you less than if you drive slowly.

Hense when you re-start the car it will usually have gone up, and if you drive slowly it may also go up as you decrease your fuel consumption.
That actually makes so much sense haha! I'm assuming your right there bud! Thankss fella!:bump:

Iceberg 172
Have owned the ep3 type r, Ek9 type r and the clio 172.
Clio and ek9 definitely get at least 330 plus mile on a full tank with the ep3 getting 270 miles.
i reset the trip computer after every tank and it gives a pretty good accurate reading.

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Have owned the ep3 type r, Ek9 type r and the clio 172.
Clio and ek9 definitely get at least 330 plus mile on a full tank with the ep3 getting 270 miles.
i reset the trip computer after every tank and it gives a pretty good accurate reading.
Ahh a nice little selection you've had then but that doesn't sound too bad though really!

Iceberg 172
Ahh a nice little selection you've had then but that doesn't sound too bad though really!

Thanks mate,.. i still miss the ek9 and was tempted to buy another, but for me, the car is getting on now and i had my one for over 3 years.. the clio is more modern and a new experience of car :)
Anyway, the Ep3 was very thirsty.. when driven hard, the petrol would just drop.. 270 miles was at its best, 330 miles was easily achieved with the ek9 and for now, the clio is too