ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Can I Lower The Gearing On My 172??????

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
I own a 2000 X reg Clio 172 Sport, does anyone know how i can lower the gearing on it? for example changing the final drive??? using a diesel gearbox???

Any help would be great

:D

Stick a diesel box with a gearbox sensor on it and yep gearing will go hugly long.

If you wanty shorter ratios then the 172 Cup box is a bit shorter otherwise you need to start stripping the box down.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I own a 2000 X reg Clio 172 Sport, does anyone know how i can lower the gearing on it? for example changing the final drive??? using a diesel gearbox???

Any help would be great

:D

Its a strange question to be asking.

Most people want taller gearing not shorter gearing.

It makes us wonder if what you think you're asking is what we think you mean.

Why do you want to do it?

2005 Nissan Navara
Its a strange question to be asking.

Most people want taller gearing not shorter gearing.

It makes us wonder if what you think you're asking is what we think you mean.

Why do you want to do it?

Why do "most people" want taller gearing?

i AM AFTER BETTER ACCELLERATION, I LIVE UP IN NORTH WALES WHERE THERE ARE PLENT OF TWISTIES, I USED TO OWN A 200BHP FIESTA RST, IT WAS REALLY LOW GEARS AND TOPPED OUT AT JUST OVER 120, BUT THE 0-100 TIME ON IT WAS BALLISTIC. i WANT MY CLIO TO BE MUCH FASTER ON ACCELLERATION, I DONT MIND SACRIFICING TOP END SPEED FOR THIS AS ON MY LOCAL ROADS 100+ IS HIT VERY RARELY, AVERAGE SPEED IS 60-90 ON THE BENDS

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got a W reg Mk2 Ph1 172 but the easy and only real solution is to get the 172 Cup gearbox as the ratios are pretty much identcial to the Williams (ie very close)

cheers for that mate, the gears are closer, but the there really isnt much difference between the actual speeds, just got of the phone to quaffe, they have told me all i have to do is change the final drive assembly, i need to find one with a bigger No. ratio, this will change the characteristics drastically. I am looking for my car to be really geared for accelleration, they suggested looking for a clio 1.2 gearbox, but they told me to do as much reading up on it as possible ro make sure they will fit. there are a few 1.2 gearboxes on ebay which are selling for 50 quid!!! bargain.

wot you reckon?

Lionel Richie
we can get different ratio sets, i've never put on a 1.2 gearbox onto a 172

i'll find out what ratios we can get

hey up fred, that would be ace mate, im really interested in changing the gearing, just waiting to fit my grp n ecu, if i can lower the gearing i think the car will be really run round my local roads

let us know what you come up with mate.

raj
rajbanerjee80@hotmail.com

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
cheers for that mate, the gears are closer, but the there really isnt much difference between the actual speeds, just got of the phone to quaffe, they have told me all i have to do is change the final drive assembly, i need to find one with a bigger No. ratio, this will change the characteristics drastically. I am looking for my car to be really geared for accelleration, they suggested looking for a clio 1.2 gearbox, but they told me to do as much reading up on it as possible ro make sure they will fit. there are a few 1.2 gearboxes on ebay which are selling for 50 quid!!! bargain.

wot you reckon?

wud a 1.2 box take the power?

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Dont bother messing around with the gearing because its sounds too much work for little results.
Ive got mk1 172 15s on mine and with a f*cked up cams package lol the 0-60 is just under 6secs.
If ur talking much quicker than that then id say it was impossible.
Ive heard of cups getting better acceleration but remember mine is full fat!

15" alloys is a no go, ive just bought some lush 17" rims, plus it had 15"s on when i bought the car and the gearing was still too long then

If you wanty shorter ratios then the 172 Cup box is a bit shorter otherwise you need to start stripping the box down.

Aren't all ph2 172 boxes shorter than ph1's? Not just the cup. IIRC its because ph2's are heavier than ph1's and Renault wanted to maintain the same 0-60

Ph1
15" alloys is a no go, ive just bought some lush 17" rims, plus it had 15"s on when i bought the car and the gearing was still too long then

Save yourself s**t loads and get the 15's back on. Your making your gearing even worse for what your wanting by having 17's on!!

Its like going on a diet then eating out every night at a cake shop

Aren't all ph2 172 boxes shorter than ph1's? Not just the cup. IIRC its because ph2's are heavier than ph1's and Renault wanted to maintain the same 0-60

Yep but the full fat gearboxes don;'t have speedo sensors in them since there speed comes from the ABS system the Cup has a speedo sensor in it since there no ABS system. You can yuse a full fat but you'd have no speedo moving.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
just a guess

like on the 106's ax's vtr's, ect

the whole range of there box's fit on and last as long as the next one.

i had a 1.1 box on my 160bhp gti and it lasted as long as the gti box did..

there were all the same case's, same grade of material used in all the internals just differnt gears used in a 1.1 box to a 1.6 box

there were all the same case's, same grade of material used in all the internals just differnt gears used in a 1.1 box to a 1.6 box

Thats the great thing about Pugeot all boxes are the same Renault don't follow the same concept.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
u sure, i know that the 172 box will go on a gtt lump as will a whole range of box's. willy, 16v i opted to use a 1.2 box on my clio turbo many moons ago. so if it works one way can u not fit any of them boxs to a 172 lump?

u sure, i know that the 172 box will go on a gtt lump as will a whole range of box's. willy, 16v i opted to use a 1.2 box on my clio turbo many moons ago. so if it works one way can u not fit any of them boxs to a 172 lump?

The gearbox (assumine were on about 5 speed boxes) some in 3 spec JC1/JC3/JC5. The 1 is the weekest the 3 is stronger and the 5 the best and is used on the 172 and dci 80 models along with the Williams. Its only rated offically to 200NM warently strenght. The jc5 has stronger bits etc than the 3 and the 3 is stronger than the 1.