ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I do these "Slow motion" shots - Revels, Especially for you!!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
How on earth do people do these shots?? What type of equipment is needed and what settings etc?

They look bloody brilliant!

4405958545_b6f4b1dab4.jpg

4422498160_32fef90358.png

4351323547_0fc12bec59_b.jpg

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!!

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
First two are known as 'splodges' over on Talk Photography. Mainly need a tripod and a lot of patience!

Ian

Focus TDCi
If you have enough light (i.e really sunny), as with the first two, you don't need flash - you just need a camera capable of high shutter speeds (the higher the better). That's the long and short of it, just make sure your shutter speed, ISO and aperture allow for a balanced exposure.

Alternatively you can use flash, where it can be as simple or complicated as you like.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've got all of the gear, but have never "ventured" into this type of photography - usually my subjects are massive metal things that fly through the sky - lol.

So high shutter speeds as in 3200? or higher??

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Think I'm going to give it a go - may need to invest in a remote control shutter or something. :cool:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Aye, best way is to practice! Don't expect to get a good success rate as it's very hit and miss, or so I hear. If you find your auto focus is being tricked, try switching to manual and prefocusing on the centre of the cup.

Revels will probably know the subtleties better than me, I've never tried it lol.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Haha ... Yeah I know what you mean.

To be honest, I used to be out every weekend at every opportunity taking photos - over the past few years I've gradually stopped using the camera.

It's a shame, I think the 20D has about 1500 actuations in 3 years?!

This summer it WILL be used!

1.4 16v Clio
That top one was done on a 50mm f1.8 lens.

The f1.8 is the aperture and you want that set to the lowest number possible to let as much light in as possible thus allowing for a quicker shutter speed, a bit of a higher ISO will also allow for a shorter shutter speed but will mean more noise in the image.

and finally the key for me was using a remote cable shutter release which allowed me to lock the shutter down thus taking repeat photos and making it easier to capture the right frame.

edit: Forgot to give you this link: http://www.kontain.com/maxdicapua/entries/71117/coffee-splash-diary/ it's a quick write up of the taking and editing of that top image.

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Thanks Max ... I think I need to invest in one of these 50mm lenses! I've heard very good reviews about them, and for the price I think it's a cracking deal.

its just high speed photography and a big flash gun to "freeze" it

one of my best mates is into taking photos of things while they are being shot and taking pictures of bullets in mid air - ill ask him if you like but thats how he does it

Lol. Hi.

I don't have a release cable (although I have ordered one) so I just press the shutter the old fashioned way.

Get your cup. Hold a pen in the middle and focus on that, then turn the AF off. The top one is @ 4000ths and even then I had to turn the aperture down to stop it blowing out.

That's pretty much it. You won't get it fast enough without a flash inside. The cards and this one..

4271794658_98b4374a02.jpg

were down at 500ths with a flash which is how I prefer to do them.

Once you've got it focussed then just hold the shutter down, drop whatever it is you're dropping and then let the shutter go. Then see what you've got and depending on how you're shooting, clean up and try again! Lol.