ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Do I Know If my Gearbox is dying

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Define "different" mate...

Its probably just due to the cold weather!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 24 November 2003

clunky, never used to be like that.
Most likely caused by the cold weather...

If its about to die it will either be whining and/or crunching on change!

about the gearbox whining. mine on the 16v tends to whine a lot in 3rd and 4th. not overley loud and the box is fairly smooth to use. its on 93k. does this mean its getting close to going?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

My valver gearbox is clunky I must admit when its cold - fine after it warms up.

Quick question - how long do they usually last? When should I expect it to go pop?

Ben S drove my Car last week and thaught that the change was no-where near as positive as his is, and to be honest, I have found myself missing a gear from time to time.

Does anyone else have a high milage 172 (mk2) or a cup with the same problem?

I worry that the gearbox is going to expire shortly, so have purchased another.

:)

/y0z

Lee

BMW M2C

I always thought yours felt better than mine. I know what you mean about being less possitive, but there is no resistance when changing gear. Mine sometimes objects to 3rd!! Yours just drops in and out of gear easily. Maybe that easily has gone a bit too far and its starting to become sloppy!

My gearbox took about 20k before it loosened up!

As for the clunky gearbox in the past for me this has been the result of a bad clutch or diff.

-Rob

So It might just be that mine is loosened up now?

It has done nearly 50k, and to be honest, I dont have a problem with it...

I am just worrying that It might fall out after the trackday next week... 2&3 gear thrashing...

:-(

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Im horrible when it comes to gearbox thrashing on trackdays...and the only thing Ive ever popped was the speedo sender unit (youll know its on its way out when your speedo needle bounces)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

depends what breaks(if the breakage is contained inside the gearbox then no other damage will occur). if the box was really about to die you would definatly know about(noise,poor gear selection etc)

My 182 feels like they fitted the gearbox from a tractor. Maybe some at renault should take a look at a honda or toyota gearbox....

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

fitted quite a few synchro kits to the 172 gearboxes but havent had one go bang yet(unlike the master van)

So it is a 50/50 that something else will break and should I put an uprated clutch in when I do the gearbox?

I plan to do Cambelt at the same time.

/y0z

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its very unlikely/rare that something completly shears and smashes through the casing damaging the clutch etc. would be an idea to change the clutch while your stripping it though. gearbox is removed by removing the subframe and dropping the box out from the bottem.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 02 April 2004

its very unlikely/rare that something completly shears and smashes through the casing damaging the clutch etc. would be an idea to change the clutch while your stripping it though. gearbox is removed by removing the subframe and dropping the box out from the bottem.
Good job too I recon.....lol

Anyway yoz, all this talk of gearboxes and cambelts and stuff sounds very techy for you mate ;) - next youll be says youve had oily hands and everything lol :p

182 FF

Hello all, stumbled across this site just now by searching for 172 gearbox problems. I have a mk2 172 and have just been told I need a new gearbox at 36,570 miles.

The problem was a nasty crunching when going into 5th between 6 and 7,000 rpm. Ive had the car for 14 months and have had the problem from day 1, I kept being fobbed off with Yeah they do that mate, until I took it to a different dealership!

Anyway, I was told that there is a fault with the gearboxes and it is well known. So, if yours is still under warranty like mine is then make the bstads replace it.