ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do i know what memory to get?

dk

911 GTS Cab
bloody hell, you guys have been busy in here today!

This place is turning into a geek forum!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
ta

i'll get some of that ordered then!

cheers for all your help.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I know its hassle, but if he can upgrade the BIOS he might get more support for faster speed memory?

172 Cup
Not a chance. Memory speed is governed by the Northbridge (ultimately part of the chipset) and cannot simply be increased by altering the BIOS.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
must be the CPU i'm thinking of them. All I can remember is a BIOS upgrade allowing me to buy a faster 'something' than previously supported

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
.Griff. said:
Not a chance. Memory speed is governed by the Northbridge (ultimately part of the chipset) and cannot simply be increased by altering the BIOS.

Griff's right - it will only help support specific memory that the mobo has known issues with. Sometimes the memory timings can be a little out when the mobos leave the factory and an updated BIOS can sometimes rectify this.

I know on my MSI mobo, there were a few issues with certain brands of DDR400 memory that were sorted out with the latest BIOS update.

D.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i notice you have loads of files and folders on your desktop mate, everytime windows loads it loads everything onto the desktop into memory/pagefile, you should move them into my docs or where ever and just put shortcuts on the desktop, will make the computer run a lot faster (ps you will have to reboot after you have done that before you notice a difference)

172 Cup
Martin_89 said:
i notice you have loads of files and folders on your desktop mate, everytime windows loads it loads everything onto the desktop into memory/pagefile, you should move them into my docs or where ever and just put shortcuts on the desktop, will make the computer run a lot faster (ps you will have to reboot after you have done that before you notice a difference)

Not true at all mate. Having shortcuts, documents, files or folders on your desktop does not affect your pagefile in the slightest... Nothing stored on your desktop gets loaded into the pagefile. If someones told you that they are extremely ill-informed on how an operating system works.

Only those processes listed under MSCONFIG will affect your pagefile/system resources in any way.

Monaro VXR
It does load the icons up and put them in memory but the file sizes of them are next to nothing so wouldnt be noticed.

It does need to put it in memory for it to be displayed though.

172 Cup
The average 16 colour icon takes up a few bytes (not even 1kb). If you could physically fit 1000 icons on your desktop it wouldn't even equate to 1mb....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im not talking about shortcuts, im talking about installers, videos, music etc. copy a couple of GB onto your desktop and then restart your computer and see how long it takes to load up windows.

as a pc technician ive got this problem to deal with nearly every day and i can guarantee you that copying them into my docs and just having shortcuts to the desktop speeds things up A LOT

172 Cup
Mate you can copy 10 * 4gb DVD vob files onto your Desktop and your memory usage/pagefile will not budge an inch let alone 40gb.

Your desktop is simply a folder/directory within C:/Windows recreated virtually as an easy to use background. The files stored within the desktop folder/directory are merely represented on screen as tiny 16 colour icons.

On the slowest/oldest of systems having lots of icons may well slow windows down but thats simply due to the icons themselves and has absolutely nothing to do with file type and/or size.

No offence intended at all mate but with regards to your referance as a "PC technician" dealing with this "on a daily basis" your profile on the other hand says you are only a 16 year old student... Again no offence intended mate but I've been working with/using computers since 1979 and PC's for the last 15 years. This myth of desktop icons (as thats all they are) slowing down a PC is simply untrue.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Martin_89 said:
im not talking about shortcuts, im talking about installers, videos, music etc. copy a couple of GB onto your desktop and then restart your computer and see how long it takes to load up windows.

Just to conclude on this matter I've copied 25GIG of data (.vobs, .wmv's, DIVX and XVID) to my desktop and as I said all along it's not affected the memory/pagefile in any way whatsoever as you can see -

memusage.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
woops not updated profile in a while, im working full time now.

well i just done it with a 10GB music folder and after a restart it runs like crap, i dont know how to explain it but it does and is one of the main slowdown problems ive had on machines i work on. it maywell not be that its loading into memory but what ever it does its slowing them down.

Monaro VXR
It should make a difference i regularly have very large single files on my desktop anything i download is downloaded to my desktop and archived later so i have got around 40gb worth of files on here at moment still only takes 40 seconds to boot up on my low spec.