ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you know if shocks are gone if they aren't leaking

ph1 172 Black
The ride does quite seem right and it knocks a bit on the nearside. My mate said since it's got 100k on it shocks might want changing even though they are not leaking.

How do you tell and would you replace them with Ren ones or get some others?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Front or back? bet they do need changing after that kind of millage.

Push down on the corner of the car - it should bounce once (up, down, settled) and that's it.

If it bounces more then it may be screwed.

This is relevant to soft shocks though - stiffer ones are harder to tell as they're effort to compress with bodyweight lol

ph1 172 Black
If I need to replace them could I use Cup ones, would that lower it at all. Mines a ph1 172. You only really hear the knocking when my fat mate is in passenger side and it's a rattle at front and a slight knock from back.

ph1 172 Black
I've tried pushing back down and can hardly get it to move but front is a lot easy.

Seems ok but suspension does seem to get quite unsettled when I hit bumps etc

BMW M135i
I'd be changing them at 100k personally, I bet you'd feel the world of difference. What springs is it on? Standards?

I'd go for some eibach pro-kits and new standard renault dampers, should make a nice refresh.

Dodgy one
Mine it literally dripping oil out of one of the dammpers on a 53 plate 172 cup! New ones on the way!!

Mine were the same, just had it changed under warranty and its a totally different car,

Does yours feel unstable when B road bashing?

Lots of Alfas
Push the back down without the handbrake on, and do the test as mentioned above. If youve ever been in a car with nackered shocks it will feal very unsettled going over bumps. Chances are the knocking is something else like the exhaust or even the trailing arm bushes.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
I'd be changing them at 100k personally, I bet you'd feel the world of difference. What springs is it on? Standards?

I'd go for some eibach pro-kits and new standard renault dampers, should make a nice refresh.

exactly the setup i have on my 03 cup, and is great :D