ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you remove handbrake cable from rear calipers ?

I have managed to get a hold of a refurbed rear caliper to solve my sticky nearside caliper issue.

I'm having a few issues in removing the handbrake cable from the caliper body.
I have slackened off the adjuster under the exhaust heatshield to free off and give slack in the cables.
I have also unhooked the cable from the lever underneath the caliper but how do i get the cable through and out the caliper body to enable caliper removal ?
The big nipple thing thats crimped onto the end of the handbrake cable aint passing through.
The outer cable that the handbrake cable is inside is out of the caliper body but i cannot get it out, i've even pulled back the rubber dust boot that the cable exits out od on the caliper to no avail.

Any tips would be appreciated guys.

S4 Avant
You probably won't be able to see it, because of corrosion, but the handbrake cable passes through a metal sleeve which just needs bashing out, with a screwdriver/chisel and hammer.

You probably won't be able to see it, because of corrosion, but the handbrake cable passes through a metal sleeve which just needs bashing out, with a screwdriver/chisel and hammer.

Ok cheers

I'll have a look for the sleeve on the caliper and go from there.

Why do the french make things ackward ?

It unhooks from caliper lever arm easily enough but the nipple on the end of the cable that hooks into that arm is to big O.D (outside diameter) wise to pass through any part of the caliper body.

So going by the thread on KPMatthews reply i may have to disconnect it under the handbrake its self after removining the mid section of exhaust heatshield

Grrr :(

Last edited: