ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How easy to swap 5th gear ratio with gearbox still in the car?

Does anyone on here know their way round a JC5 quite well? I need to swap my 5th gear ratio but I don't have the time before my next race to get the box out so i'm looking to see if its possible for me to swap the 5th gearset without taking the box out of the car? I know the JC5 has the end cap on the gearbox which houses 5th but how difficult is it actually to swap the gears over?

Any help would be really appreciated :) Thanks!

BMW M135i
It's been a while since i've had one in pieces but off the top of my head it can be done without splitting the box as the 5th gear selector fork comes off the 5th gear selector shaft.

When splitting the box (iirc) you engage 1st and 5th together remove the external detent then remove output shaft bolt and input shaft nut then the selector fork then the gears. So it should technically be possible.

I last one I did I took the cover off , 3x13mm bolts, then put the box into 3rd, then manually selected 5th by the gear syncro, remove the pin for the fork , remove the selector fork, crack the end nut off and then use a puller to remove the gear from the shaft !

Worked fine for me ! Good luck