ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How fun is a 182 as a daily?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for your reply.

I'm hoping that this would be pretty cheap, I know the engines are pretty frugal, my concern is more about things going wrong.

I don't doubt the Clio handles better. Does the cup pack matter? I thought it was just a trim level? Spoiler, splitter, wheels, its all cosmetic, right?
If you've had an EP3 and a 182 and you found the 182 more "livable" then that's reassuring as my ep3 was a fantastic daily do-everything car, Very comfortable, spacious, good ride, space for mates in the back, reasonable on fuel, etc. Obviously the clio is a size smaller.

P.s. - ep3 is definitely faster than a clio 182 ;)

Yeah a very fair point!

100% my Clio has the legs on both mates with EP3's not that it matters - similar ball park either way round, nippy but not crazy fast. I have not owned an EP3 but have frequently driven them, I borrowed a mates FN2 for a couple of weeks last month so have a recent reference for that.

By more livable I mean that the I find EP3's a bit rough and ready, the Clio in standard trim is smoother with more low down torque so makes all normal driving duties more pleasant - I prefer the sound and cult status of an EP3 but as said other than gearbox my 182 ousts the various Type R's than mates have now and have owned over the years.

The cup pack cars have better shock absorbers, different front hubs and larger wheel front wheel bearings. They are better than non cup packed cars and imo the best daily as they have all the nice features (auto lights, AC, cruise, HID's etc) plus the better suspension of a cup.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for your reply.

I'm hoping that this would be pretty cheap, I know the engines are pretty frugal, my concern is more about things going wrong.

I don't doubt the Clio handles better. Does the cup pack matter? I thought it was just a trim level? Spoiler, splitter, wheels, its all cosmetic, right?
If you've had an EP3 and a 182 and you found the 182 more "livable" then that's reassuring as my ep3 was a fantastic daily do-everything car, Very comfortable, spacious, good ride, space for mates in the back, reasonable on fuel, etc. Obviously the clio is a size smaller.

Yeah a very fair point!
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah a very fair point!
Mines been my daily for 15 years when I bought it new. I still love driving it.

There were 2 Cup pack options when new.
1. Was the front splitter and cup spoiler.
2. Was anthracite coloured wheels instead of the standard silver which indicated that it also had slightly lower, stiffer suspension with a slightly wider track.

Attachments

• Renault Sport Clio Guide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 492

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I put 100k on my 182 as a daily, including plenty of motorway runs for meetings etc.

I did enjoy it and always looked forward to driving it, just enough creature comforts to make it workable.

Definitely wouldn't do it all again now but certainly worse cars to daily around in!

100% my Clio has the legs on both mates with EP3's not that it matters - similar ball park either way round, nippy but not crazy fast. I have not owned an EP3 but have frequently driven them, I borrowed a mates FN2 for a couple of weeks last month so have a recent reference for that.

By more livable I mean that the I find EP3's a bit rough and ready, the Clio in standard trim is smoother with more low down torque so makes all normal driving duties more pleasant - I prefer the sound and cult status of an EP3 but as said other than gearbox my 182 ousts the various Type R's than mates have now and have owned over the years.

The cup pack cars have better shock absorbers, different front hubs and larger wheel front wheel bearings. They are better than non cup packed cars and imo the best daily as they have all the nice features (auto lights, AC, cruise, HID's etc) plus the better suspension of a cup.
Mines been my daily for 15 years when I bought it new. I still love driving it.

There were 2 Cup pack options when new.
1. Was the front splitter and cup spoiler.
2. Was anthracite coloured wheels instead of the standard silver which indicated that it also had slightly lower, stiffer suspension with a slightly wider track.

Thanks. Yeah I have seen that guide to which model is which. It seems that mechanically they're pretty much the same car though? The suspension cant be that different.

IMO the wheels are one of the bad points on the car's looks (which I otherwise really like). they are really ugly.
The wheels in this ad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-182/353379233042
I've seen a few clios with these wheels, were they a factory option?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, called Turini and standard on the Trophy. I don't know if they are an option for the regular cars through - although someone here will for sure. Made by speedline - many people think they are the best wheel for these.

Don’t worry about whether it’s a Cup packed car or even 172 vs 182. Differences were relatively minor when new, far outweighed by the difference in condition of individual cars today. Just go for the best example you can find.

If you don’t like Turinis you could easily sell them and acquire standard 182 rims, and end up with cash in your pocket.

Don’t worry about whether it’s a Cup packed car or even 172 vs 182. Differences were relatively minor when new, far outweighed by the difference in condition of individual cars today. Just go for the best example you can find.

If you don’t like Turinis you could easily sell them and acquire standard 182 rims, and end up with cash in your pocket.
I meant the opposite - the standard wheels on clio RS are ugly as sin, but the ones on this example look really nice.

TY for the info.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
As a said, they are speedline Turini's and were standard fit on the 172 cup and the 182 trophy. Cup and trophy turini's have different offsets with the Cup ones being most popular.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I meant the opposite - the standard wheels on clio RS are ugly as sin, but the ones on this example look really nice.

TY for the info.
I actually prefer original anthracite wheels to Turinis.
If you want ugly wheels look at a standard 172.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Still my daily since new.

It's got an awkward seating position - the pedals aren't the best in terms of location and the ocean-liner steering wheel is comical. It's not exactly the best for very long journeys either - do a few hundred miles in one and you'll feel it getting out at the motorway services.

But for ticking the boxes for a range of duties, it's just brilliant. Small enough for town driving - nimble in and out of traffic. Pretty cheap to run considering and a decent blast when you find an empty A-road.

I still think it looks a great car even today and can think of no reason why I should get rid.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I ran one as a daily in between owning my M3 and 911.

It wasn't the best example and things were always breaking on it (albeit small issues). I think if it was a decent example and you know your way around one it would be fine.

I ran a 205 gti as my daily a few years ago (2010) and loved it, less to go wrong on that though.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I’ve had a 182 and two 172’s. both used for daily duties to and from work etc and even with little kids it was ok. Fun to drive when you want to and ok when tootling around. As has been said above the mpg from them is quite awesome considering. On a run I would get 35mpg at least! Apart from when I had the itg maxogen kit fitted to the 172, that noise when on full throttle was addictive!!

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I bought a cheap 172 for a fun and town car that I could fit the children in, do an occasional track day in and tinker with at the weekend. I didn't realise how much I'd love driving it. My main car is better built, more comfortable, better equipped, quieter and faster in a straight line, but I'll pick the Clio for any journey that doesn't involve long stints on the motorway. It's just *fun*: all the controls are fantastically responsive, it's so small and light roads seem much bigger, you can thrash it without getting to life/licence threatening speeds. And it does more MPG than the other car.
My wife doesn't like it though. She says it's like getting into a teenagers car.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a cheap 172 for a fun and town car that I could fit the children in, do an occasional track day in and tinker with at the weekend. I didn't realise how much I'd love driving it. My main car is better built, more comfortable, better equipped, quieter and faster in a straight line, but I'll pick the Clio for any journey that doesn't involve long stints on the motorway. It's just *fun*: all the controls are fantastically responsive, it's so small and light roads seem much bigger, you can thrash it without getting to life/licence threatening speeds. And it does more MPG than the other car.
My wife doesn't like it though. She says it's like getting into a teenagers car.

My Mrs says exactly the same thing - she occasionally is forced into driving it when we have a car breakdown etc. Doesn't help thats its low and bumpy, has a heavy clutch and my number plate is LM04 CHV so ours is the chav machine

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
No Mrs Mojo thinks the thing is so embarrassing it has to live in the garage! Which is no bad thing. In fact it’s being moved out whilst we have some fairly major building work done and she insists I buy a car cover 😂
200.gif

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I like the 172 wheels. They look bigger than they are and less fussy than the 182 wheels. The blue ones I have in the shed aren't pretty though😂.
That's the one thing I never liked when I had. 172, the wheels. Strange you should say about the size of the wheels . I think exactly the same about the 182 wheels, the seem to look bigger than 16".

I actually prefer original anthracite wheels to Turinis.
If you want ugly wheels look at a standard 172.
Oh, I just looked and it's only the 172 wheels which are F ugly. The 182 standard ones are OK.
Most of the clios I see seem to have those awful thick five spoke things.

Still my daily since new.

It's got an awkward seating position - the pedals aren't the best in terms of location and the ocean-liner steering wheel is comical. It's not exactly the best for very long journeys either - do a few hundred miles in one and you'll feel it getting out at the motorway services.

But for ticking the boxes for a range of duties, it's just brilliant. Small enough for town driving - nimble in and out of traffic. Pretty cheap to run considering and a decent blast when you find an empty A-road.

I still think it looks a great car even today and can think of no reason why I should get rid.
Yeah the steering wheel is definitely a weak point from the ones I've sat in or driven. Do you just get used to it I guess? It doesn't seem right for a car thats being driven hard.

Definitely looks good. I liked the looks of them when they were new and in 2021 they look just as good.

Just as a plus point to the standard slightly naff seats - front passenger has ISOFIX and my son absolutely loves going in it.
I got no plans to have kids any time soon. What are the seats like though? Some people think they're pretty good, some people think they are rubbish.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Steering wheel is fine, I quite like it and will be getting mine recovered by royal wheels. Some people like to fit a smaller wheel but I've not felt the need for road or occasional track use.

Seats are fine tbh, just feel very high - After a few weeks I stopped noticing or caring, they are supportive enough and unless you tall they are a non issue - you can lower them a tad or fit alternative seats if it really bugs you or you use on track a lot.

I think tbh you just need to take the plunge and either borrow or buy one - they are cheap enough that if you don't like it after a few weeks you could sell on without losing money.

They are weirdly sure footed for such a little car, so if you drive one in standard trim which feels a bit twitchy then the suspension needs looking at.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like @Touring_Rob says.i don't have a problem with the size of the steering wheel. You'll be lucky if find one were the thumb grips haven't split ( these can easily be replaced) or the steering wheel hasn't melted. It's common.
The first time I got into a 172 nearly 20 years ago I thought I was climbing up into a transit van the seating position was so high. You soon get used to it.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I fitted a 197 wheel to mine. It's deeper dished, so really helps with the driving position and means i can retain the airbag, plus the car looks standard. I just need to lower the seat a fraction now.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
It wouldnt even get close to my short list as a daily driver these days, but as a track car I love it. Being NA you need to keep it above 5K to have any chance of having fun in it which isnt really possible on the daily drive, I would personally much rather have something with a turbo for the ease of just having the power there when I needed it without having to drive it like a stole it.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I don't think I've ever seen a car without all the packs, I've seen them either nothing or all.

Mine bizarrely, suspension pack only, weird I know, luckily managed to get a spoiler and new brake light before they became extinct.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I fitted a 197 wheel to mine. It's deeper dished, so really helps with the driving position and means i can retain the airbag, plus the car looks standard. I just need to lower the seat a fraction now.

197 Steering Wheel + Yanoo Scenic Shifter in my opinion changes the entire car. I only have a 1.2 but its so fun to drive

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Who would even spec that, the cup packs were probably a dirt cheap option at the time
There must have been alot of s**t salesmen if they couldn't squeeze another £395 out of the buyers. For less than a grand you could have had both cup packs and Recaros.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210_223222_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210_223222_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 70

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Makes BMW individual paint on an M seem like a bargain!

Still, Liquid Yellow is awesome.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You can't buy a 15 year old pair of recaros for £550. Liquid yellow was the same price then as it is now. So a bargain these days as the surface area is 50% bigger on a Mk4 megane🤣.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Who would even spec that, the cup packs were probably a dirt cheap option at the time
Yeah - an absolute no brainer at the time - I ticked both Cup Packs on the order form.

I do recall Petrol Blue and Liquid Yellow being a £1,500 option back in the day. I very nearly went for PB - but as the car only came to £12,200 in total - it seemed like a frivolous extra!

Would have definitely gone for the Recaros in hindsight.