ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How hard to change a steering angle sensor????

M

mattlear23

Hi guys, just wondered how hard it was to change a steering angle sensor on a 182? I took my car to Renault and they wanted £372.00 to supply and fit a new one..... stuff that for a laugh.

How would I go about changing one as I've just brought one myself and wondered how hard it is to do?

Any Help needed.

Thanks, Matt

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Changing it isn't the problem - that comes IF it needs setting up which can only be done on a CLIP.TBH I've never actually replaced one so don't know if new units require setting up and pairing to the car or not. If its the same as the Megane II you just fit it and plug it in but take care not to rotate it and be sure to observe to position marker in the window.Mick

Golf GTD Mk7
No pairing iirc, but the angle needs setting through clip as Mick said.

Are you sure it's the angle sensor and not the switch? What's the problem?

M

mattlear23

The Traction control light comes on as soon as I move the steering wheel when starting the car. I've brought a new sensor so just wanted to see if I could change it myself. So I'd need to take it to Renault after I fit it?

Golf GTD Mk7
Have you changes the wheel or is everything standard? The rotary switch which houses all the airbag/cruise wires is more likely to be the cause. I suppose you could install the unit and take it to Renault to calibrate. If it's not the sensor it will be the switch.

M

mattlear23

Haven't changed the wheel, its all standard mate. Yer I'll try and replace the switch and see what happens. Dont fancy paying £372.00 for it though lol

Golf GTD Mk7
The rotary switch in the middle, that turns the airbag wires needs to stay central. If you turn it you will see the mini circle change. To calibrate with clip, you would replace the sensor, refit the wheel, then rotate the wheel a specific amount while calibrating so it can work out 0 angle

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sorry to bring this up again but I have taken my steering wheel off to look at/replace the angle sensor as I have the ABS and Traction lights on but I don't seem to have the sensor as I thought it would look like. I've seen pics of a separate type of unit with the little window with the yellow dot but I just have the unit that the indicator stalks bolt onto that the airbag etc cables are attached to. I went to a breakers and took another couple apart and they didnt have one either - is it just a different set up as their is the rotating wheel in the middle that moves the indicator auto cancel etc and that has a tightly wound white cable inside it (as I pulled one off one of the breakers and broke it).
I'm confused