ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long would you run this for ?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
clocks.JPG

CS millionaires need not reply, I know you dont ever have your tank this empty.

Having issues with fuel dissapearing based on the trip computer after my car cuts out.

Just wondering, how long would you run that for until you *had* to fill up.

More curiosity, I rarely drive the car now anyway so filling up is few and far between.

I'm going to wait until its in the red, logic suggests to me that is a more accurate reading of 'fuel remaining' than the trip computer.

2003 Clio 172 cup
In my st220 i just sold the trip used to say 0 miles to go and the most i ran it at 0 was 45 miles, and the fuel light come on a 50 miles to go lol. Brings back that old Top Gear episode where he ran (i think) was a Jag for ever on 0 miles to go according to the trip.

Keep a jerry can in the boot with a gallon in it, see how long it goes.

The trip is just a calculation based on current mpg etc etc, if i drive cautious i can get the trip to say i have 550 miles to go after fill up lol. If i reset it all and stick the foot down it says 220 lol. Both still with a full tank.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I'm going to aim for 115+

Will check litres remaining when I drive it next and reset the trip.

S4 Avant
Last time I was in that situation, I had the fuel light come on, on the way home from work.

I drove home for 7 miles, drove to grays house and back the next day 10 miles each way. Then went from my house to Matlock and back later that night which was 5 miles each way.

So when I look at it, after the fuel light comes on, you can still drive another 37 miles, at least.

Do you rag your car or something? :p
When my 172's gauge was there, it still had about 150 miles still in the tank.

I did take mine down to 0 miles once... It got to that, did about 5 more miles to the petrol station lol, darent take the risk ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Not sure I understand any of this thread ?! "Having issues with fuel dissapearing based on the trip computer after my car cuts out."

It's saying that based on the driving you've done since last filling up, it's estimating 50 miles left. Go fill it to the brim and see how much you put in. IIRC, mk2 RS's have a 50l tank ? Simple deduction will tell you how much was left. Work out the MPG you did yourself.. and see what's going on.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
The point is, its not accurate at all.

It was 130 something about 5 mins before that photo was taken, car cut out and down to 50 miles remaining.

Current MPG is 30.2mpg - So, no I don't exactly 'rag it'

Simply put, the car thinks I have ~50 miles remaining for 1/4 of a tank, at 30.2mpg

2003 Clio 172 cup
As I said that's just a calculation. If I stalled my Mondeo with say a half tank, the trip would say like 30 miles to go, the fuel reading would be normal on the gauge tho. Trust yourself to know how much fuel you have and not some computer thats threw a hissy.

Clio RSI 1.6
What car is that a pic from Adam?

Does it do any damage to your car when you run it until there's no fuel and it cuts out.?

Golf GTD Mk7
it's not advisable to run out, but it wouldn't do much harm. Random thread though as it depends how you drive it. The trip comp tends to be coservative, but no more than 60miles on reserve imo.