ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much for a new cat?

ph1 172
My exhaust makes a really bad rattling noise when im idling. Apparently the cat is on its way out. The mechanic reckons a new 1 would be in the region of £400. Is this correct?

He said that it is still perfectly driveable and would still pass the MOT and i should try and live with it. But obviously if i ever want to sell, im gunna need to get it fixed.

Also how much should i pay for a second hand 1?

Ph1
If its knackerd then theres a pretty good chance its zapping your mpg and performance.

Iv sold a few cats to scrapys for about 50 quid mark. Seen a few on ebay go from 50 - 100

New wont be far off 400

ph1 172
yer i cant really afford £400 at the mo. so a 2nd hand jobby will have to do i think.

what will i have to look for? ph1 172 1 specifically?

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
172 cats aren't to expensive now - around 200 mark for a new one or a sports cat, its the 182 one that are expensive. I got quoted £1000 from a certain well know tyre and exhaust chain, best new quote was £700! had a 2nd hand one for £200 but it cracked on the end after a month or 2. Picked up a bargin for £70 not long after though. I shouldnt have really payed £200 for a 2nd hand one, could have got a sports cat for £300

Clio 172 ph2
I paid 175 quid for a new one then a mate fitted it for 20 quid!!! I got my parts from Tanvic Spares in Grantham but I think there is one in Corby. You could give them a try.

ph1 172
Cheers for your help so far guys.

Bit of a pain in the anus cus im goin to orlando in may so i cant really afford to fix it at the mo so iv gotta drive around with a nackered exhaust

Before fitting a new cat Check your AF ratio (MOT station machine should be able to do this.

Cats can fail on there own..BUt more often its a poorly tuned engine that burns them out

Mmmmm, It passed its MOT.

The cats are made with a frigile ceramic material. It dosnt take very long for them to destroy them selves if its breaking down....

Id be tempted to check out the cat properly before buying a new one... Means removing the cat and seing whats trapped (if anything) causing the rattle

Dont spend any money just yet, Check it out first

Rattling Exhausts can be many things

ph1 172
i had a new standard exhaust fitted last summer from the cat back. so i know its not the exhaust. the cat looks really rusted and like its on its way out. but thats just by looking at it. god knows what the insides will look like.