ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much for a valver

A slow one :-(

Im thinking I might get a valver for a few months before I get a 182. Just wondering how much I should be paying for one thats in descent condition.

And....Would it be worth forking out the extra cash for a Williams?

Quote: Originally posted by Eddieb on 15 June 2005

And....Would it be worth forking out the extra cash for a Williams?
Yep.

Thats what I did.

Looking for a Valver, but decided to pay a bit extra after everyones advice whod ownd both!

Insurance was double at the time, but hey.. sall fun!

Quote: Originally posted by Clart on 15 June 2005

3k would get u a mint valver
it would, mines up on the auto trader at the min (only did it the other day) & not many bites yet !
and im open to offers on the price !

Skoda Fabia vRS

i paid £1400 for my valver, which was insane really, its had a rebuilt engine, all new mounts, new gearbox, new starter, new alternator, piper cams with new followers, chipped, new manifold heat shield

the bodywork was pretty good but had some rust on the arches like usual, so i ended up gettin almost a full respray, but for the price i paid for the car, and the bargain i got the bodywork done for, its still really cheap

i got a mint 16v for just under 3K if ur interested, williams would be nicer though !! lol not a real good sales man am i ???

Vee dub

I would deffo reccommend a valver

I was really keen to get a Williams but after owning my 16v now for nearly a year, I no longer "desire" a williams so much.

I would like to own one in the future though

[Edited by TomS on 15 June 2005 at 4:46pm]

clio 16v

i paid 2.4k for mine nearly a year ago, with nearly perfect paintwork, new engine from BB tuning (all standard) lowered 60mm all round, and NEW 17s which were completely un-kerbed. oh and a K&N i/k which is off now.

i paid £600 for mine, it needed the arches sorting (ongoing!!!) and its got a few minor knocks and bumps.

It has a full Devil stainless exhaust and some fancy air filter.

I just got it through its MOT last week for a few quid on bits.

Id get one if i were you, i had a 172 and its as much fun IMO to drive. mine just looks a bit pants ATM.

Mine was £1.5k but Ive easily spent that much again getting it slightly modified and just keeping it running.

They definitely arent cheap to run - Im realistically budgeting £200 a month to put away for repairs and toys.

But they are a hell of a lot of fun. Think mines going to lose me my licence if Im not careful! They just want to play all the time! :p

The Jinx

You could get a mint valver for 2k and under. Anything over that is overpriced.

IMO save yourself a sh*tload of cash and get a mint valver. A mint willy will cost you lots more.

i looked at a few rough ones 3 yeard ago - all priced at the going rate, i bet its a lot harder now to find a decent well looked after example.

one thing i have noticed is that every one is always after a decent example, ye they never ever want to pay for it, as with everything in this world you do get what you pay for.
If i was offered 2k for mine, there is no way id accept it.

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 15 June 2005

i looked at a few rough ones 3 yeard ago - all priced at the going rate, i bet its a lot harder now to find a decent well looked after example.

one thing i have noticed is that every one is always after a decent example, ye they never ever want to pay for it, as with everything in this world you do get what you pay for.
If i was offered 2k for mine, there is no way id accept it.
I hear you fella!!!

Most of the time the comment of you can find a mint valver cheap as chips usaully comes from someone that doesnt have one thats mint or the one and only williams boys!!!;)

The Jinx

Mine is mint and verging on A1 and Id never get over £2k. The Kirmanators was as mint as a valver can possibly be and he didnt get over £2k for his and it took some time to sell.

Anything over £2k is overpriced.

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 16 June 2005

Mine is mint and verging on A1 and Id never get over £2k. The Kirmanators was as mint as a valver can possibly be and he didnt get over £2k for his and it took some time to sell.

Id strongly disagree with that

I payed over £3 grand for my valver, and it is showroom!

Well worth the money :D (I dont plan to sell it)

You can buy my 449 Willified Valver for £3000 mate, 52k miles, gp 11 insurance, 172/182 beater.

Williams engine, gearbox & ECU

Full Williams 3 interior too including dials that match the engine.

Smokey

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 16 June 2005

Id strongly disagree with that

I payed over £3 grand for my valver, and it is showroom!

Well worth the money :D (I dont plan to sell it)
Yeah u only get what u pay for !! buy a cheap one expect to pay out to sort problems

clio 16v

a car is only worth what your prepared to pay for it, depends how much you want it. I did pay over 2k for mine. but nothing has gone wrong in the year that ive owned it. (runs to touch wood item)

The only money spent on it is by choice on modifications. So maybe you get what you pay for?

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 16 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 16 June 2005Mine is mint and verging on A1 and Id never get over £2k. The Kirmanators was as mint as a valver can possibly be and he didnt get over £2k for his and it took some time to sell.

Anything over £2k is overpriced.[/QUOTE] Id strongly disagree with that I payed over £3 grand for my valver, and it is showroom! Well worth the money :D (I dont plan to sell it)

Fair enough. But I paid £1400 and spent about £600 on the bits that needed sorting. Its needed some TLC and probably cost near the £3k mark in total but then I bet most of the mechanicals are newer than on yours. Thing is though I wouldn never be able to get more than £2k come selling time.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Baker16v on 16 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 16 June 2005Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 16 June 2005 Mine is mint and verging on A1 and Id never get over £2k. The Kirmanators was as mint as a valver can possibly be and he didnt get over £2k for his and it took some time to sell.

Anything over £2k is overpriced. [/QUOTE] Id strongly disagree with that I payed over £3 grand for my valver, and it is showroom! Well worth the money :D (I dont plan to sell it)[/QUOTE]Yeah u only get what u pay for !! buy a cheap one expect to pay out to sort problems

But buy a more expensive one and the problems will come your way soon. Aside from crash damage and the bits that needed sorting when I negotiated a price not one thing has gone wrong on my valver in 16 months.

When I started looking I set out to get a late as poss version with low mileage. In the end I saw that it was far better to pay less for an older, higher mileage car thats already had the big work done on it.

Vee dub

Yeah, I knew how hard it was to find a mint valver and luckily I found one.

Im fully aware that they come with problmes but so far (touches wood) it has been superb for the year (nearly) that I have owned it.

Cheers

Tom

LY 200

Merv your talkin sh*te imo!!!

Low miled late ones will go for more, FACT, people want the newest of a model they can possibly get............You say youve spent 3k on the car inclusive to bits!?

Well id rather pay 3k for a later one that i dont have to buy bits for straight away all imo of course!!!

The Jinx

But my point JayR is that my mechanical bits are now newer than yours, for ultimately a smaller outlay. You WILL get hit by big repair bills if you buy a lower miler.

My point to the guy who started the thread was though, that IMO hed be wiser spending less on a mint older valver than a later one. And they are overpriced when you look at the hot hatch market in general. If youre going to pay over £3k then buy a williams.

megane coupe F7R

I bought mine 2 years ago for £2100. N reg naples in mint condition with full service history and 1 owner since new, i am the 2nd:). It had done 100k and thats the reason it was 2k. Ive not had a problem with it for 2 years until recently when i had a gearbox and an electrical problem which are now sorted. I have bought and fitted a clutch in the last 2 years but this was not essential. it was my choice. Obviosly i have bought tyres and brake pads and so on but thats just wear and tear. Most of the miles are motorway too. The guy i bought it used to live in northamton but had a job in notts and had to drive all that way.

The Jinx

Fair enough. But this guy is only proposing it as a runabout, which is why Id pay less. Id also buy from the club, be it CS or WilliamsClio.

Mine was none club and although the previous owners intentions had been good some odd methods had been used. Almost like someone with no technical know how or access to knowledge on here had had a go.

LY 200

But my point JayR is that my mechanical bits are now newer than yours, for ultimately a smaller outlay. You WILL get hit by big repair bills if you buy a lower miler.

My point to the guy who started the thread was though, that IMO hed be wiser spending less on a mint older valver than a later one. And they are overpriced when you look at the hot hatch market in general. If youre going to pay over £3k then buy a williams.
Well mine lasted a year without any major probs mate and i paid 3k...........Iv decided to 2.0 it now at a fairly good price and replacing all the bits that go wrong before it gos in so mine will be as spankin as yours soon!!!;)

Be warned though mr topic starter, if you take mervs advice and pay 3k for a Williams youl almost certainly end up with a shed!!!

megane coupe F7R

You just have to find a good exaple. My mate had a valve the same year as mine with 60k on it and he had nothin but trouble with it. In one week he had the gearbox go, head gasket starter motor and alternator. Wheres mines done 100k+ with no trouble in 2 years. tbh though, they are all as bad as each other. They are all 10+ years old which will cause problems. You need deep pockets to own a valver(any valver) full stop.

Mervs right - get a higher milage example and 9 times out of 10 (if youve your eyes open) youll be better off than with a newer one due to work being done.

I think a lot of people forget that most, if not all 16vs, are over 10 years old...good cars they may be but are certianly not worth more than 2k and its a constant JOKE that people advertise and pay over this amount. It seems its only when you step outside CS/ebay/chavland that you can buy them for realistic money...

190 BHP Willy 2

I sold my MINT Naples 16v, 96 N, 83k FRSH Uprated parts throughout for £2300 and I was lucky to get that. People are living in a dream world thinking that ANY valver is worth 3k.

Im with Merv on this, its a known fact that valvers can cost money around the 80k mark. Its always been said buy a higher mileage car which has had all the work done to it. My first Valver had 122k on it and never missed a beat. By all means go buy a high priced example, but, itll still go wrong standing you more money than a car with 20k more mileage but the clutch, column, arches already done.

A slow one :-(

Cheers for the info lads... Now I need to sell my shed which is going to be more trouble than its worth!