ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much power in a standard gearbox?

TVR Cerbera
How much power can i put through my standard 172 cup box without lunching it? will it take turbo power with an lsd and a new clutch (300 bhp)?

Thanks Daz

(thinking of wasting 7 grand on a turbo conversion!)

It won't last long with 300bhp.

Edde might know, is it better to use a box from a diesel?

Won't last long 200Nm (147lb) was the limit for the box for Renault warently department it will take more as people have proved but others have broken the gearbox with stock power and abuse.

Personally I'd never try using much more power on the gearbox for the main reason that there better options out there.

Firstly look at a Vag 1.8 T conversion with the 6 speed gearbox that engine will out of the box with a remap make 280hp and there are tunning bits off the shelf to take them to 350~400hp and there are parts to get 500hp+ from them if you spend the money and the gearbox is strong and LSD can be bought for much less since its a more common unit. I'd think you'd be looking at £8k for it buy you could sell your engine/box/ECU etc to help pay for it (say £1k in total).

If you did this though drop Matt Black a message he's done the converson into his car and has offered it for sale in the past for £7k. Ok its not road legal but you could make it road legal and its got 325hp last time I checked.

TVR Cerbera
What about another renault gearbox, like the megane 225? can i do a meggy tranplant and tune that instead of doing the turbo thing on the 172? ( the entire engine / gearbox)

Daz

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Greenys_meanies said:
What about another renault gearbox, like the megane 225? can i do a meggy tranplant and tune that instead of doing the turbo thing on the 172? ( the entire engine / gearbox)

Daz

i believe fred@yozzasport is doing this currently to his 1.2, might be worth dropping him a pm?

Didn't fred give up on this? I beleive the problem is fitting it in. It's better to go for an engine that's designed to be turbo'd rather than adding a turbo to a N/A car. Internals, gearbox are stronger etc etc.

Lionel Richie
fred never gives up on anything!!! (i just take my time ;))

the megane RS conversion will work, BUT its all custom work (ie it won't bolt straight in, there's some jiggery pokery to be done)

the megane F4RT engine is a hell of a lot stonger than the normal 172 F4R, plus the box is much much stronger (the megane RS box WON'T fit the 172 engine)

you don't need 300bhp to have a fast clio, ours is only a mere 240bhp (non turbo!) and is quicker than most machinery round a race track

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
BHP doesn't destroy gearboxes, torque does.

Improving it while keeping it naturally aspirated doesn't increase torque much, it mostly just moves it up the rev range. But turboing does increase torque substantially.