ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much speaker wire?

I didn't get a chance to measure last night, and I need to purchase today, so can anyone recommend how much speaker cable I'll need to install new speakers into my Trophy?

I'm going to locate the cross-overs for the front components under the dash, and then run the HF/LF feeds to the right positions. I'm also installing 6" x 9"s on a new shelf and I want to run the cable down the passenger side of the car....

Would 10m do or should I get 15m to be safe?

is a run from the boot.

If its from the boot then id say close to 20 meters to cover both sides to be sure it depend on how your wiring them. even 12 guage is only 1.50 per meter so its only 30 quid just to be sure. I ran active and didnt get much left over from 40 meters

I'm running off the HUs amp, so I need a stereo run going to the rear shelf, a stereo run going to the crossovers (under the dash, behind the HU), and then the component feeds to the tweeters and woofers...

I was thinking:

2 x .25m from HU to crossover
2 x .5m from crossover to tweeter
2 x 1.5m from crossover to woofer in door
2 x 5m from HU to rear shelf running under the passenger side sill trim etc...

Total 14.5m, therefore 15m of cable!?!?!?

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
my mk1 swallowed up ten (2 x 5m) goinng to the back shelf. 15 will probably do you but id go for 20 just in case. youll use any left overs eventually, i found.

id run the cable down the drivers side so that you can run power down the passengers side for amps in the future. Also I would seriously consider picking up a cheap amp to run the speakers off. The head unit will be putting out 10-15 wrms tops whcih is no where near enough for the componants let alone the 6*9s as well.

However in answer to your question 15 meters may be enough but id go with a bit more to be sure you hate to find you where half a meter sort on the last lenght and have to go out and get some more

I'm not using the stock head unit, I've upgraded to an Alpine CDE-9850Ri (4 x 50w), so I'm not bothering with an amp, plus I'm conscious of keeping the weight down, considering Renault went to great lengths to shed the Trophy of any excess weight....

A friend of mine is a professional ICE installer and he reckons the Alpine should have plenty of power to run the speakers!?!?!

I honestly think the improvement over the OEM kit will be so good that I won't be remotely bothered by it not being amped!?!?! ;)

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
a decent hu will be fine for the speakers but they will do so much loader if you get it amped.

Skoda Fabia vRS
yup, as above, ive got an Alpine 9812RR which is a 60Wx4 unit, and my components will be amped very soon as the head unit cant supply enough power to them

M140i/Orange 182
to get the best out of them you will need them amp'ed.

If your just having comps and 6by9's installed then a good 4 channel amp would help alot!! Genesis profile four maybe!(thats wot i got)