ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often do you change your gearbox oil?

406 V6, Race Buggy
Is anyone else's proper black when drained?

Nope, not even in the racers and they get serious gearbox abuse and are only changed once a year.
Black suggests either contaminants getting in somewhere or wear metals really - could be oil overheating but that's only likely if you've gone with a too-thick oil for the 'box. have you tried running a magnet through it to see if it's bearing/gear particles?

If you shine a light on the oil are there many shiny bronze/gold particles in there? Could be syncro wear from incompatible fluid (often happens if an aggresive EP fluid has been used one a box with brass/bronze synchro rings as it attacks the metal.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Pretty sure it's been my welded circlip but I'll confirm soon enough.

It's not a box that owes me anything, just wish it hadn't gone a hour into a 5 hour trackday

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Diff float will cause excess heat which will lead to the oil changing colour and darkening so that was probably the issue. The welded clip will do nothing to sort the play in the diff and fact it popped again and took the welds with it means those diff bearings are proper fucked

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Theres some 75 80 comma box oil on ebay in a 5ltr bottle for £22 posted. Cheapest i have found, and although not the beat im sure its acceptable for the box.