ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often do you polish

Do you polish your car every time you wash it or just every once in a while? Because when you read the polish bottles (like autoglym) they say do it every 3 months or what ever. Now personally, when i wash my car (its black) if i dont always polish it then it never looks as good.

I polish my car as it says. Once every three months and once every 6 months for the ultra extreme polish (gold label one). Thatsa long car wash that one but the results are phenomenal.

Ta, Andy

Skoda Fabia vRS

when i can be bothered, which is usually once every 2 months, however im gonna try and do it more often, just when i do not with abrasive products

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 11 September 2004

Do you polish your car every time you wash it or just every once in a while? Because when you read the polish bottles (like autoglym) they say do it every 3 months or what ever. Now personally, when i wash my car (its black) if i dont always polish it then it never looks as good.
thats probably because your polish isnt good enough, witha proper wax you should be able to wash it down and dry it and it look as if you have just polished it.

heres mine after just a wash down.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084393199__nn1.jpg

Well i use autoglym products, with the extra gloss protection once every few months. I did wash it the other day with out polish and it did come up nice, its just when you look closely you can see little water marks (even after drying properly) that polish would get out. Plus have you ever had a black car? I tell you - NEVER AGAIN! They look stunning when they are clean, but keeping them clean is the biggest pain ever!!!

So whats the difference between autoglym super resin polish and a wax? I have never used a wax before, so dont know what results it gives.

What would you suggest?

Yaris Hybrid

Surely how often depends on the colour of the car?

I found with my silver cars regardless of the polish used I just couldnt tell the difference between the polished and unpolished parts. I could feel the difference by rubbing my hand or a cloth over the body work but looks wise there was nothing between a treated and untreated area.

Now with my black car I had to polish it after each wash, I had no choice as it was the difference between having a black car and a grey/brown/smeared car.

Skoda Fabia vRS

So whats the difference between autoglym super resin polish and a wax? I have never used a wax before, so dont know what results it gives.

What would you suggest?
a true wax has no abrasives in it whatsoever, super resin does....

id suggest Meguiars #16 Paste Wax, very long lasting, easy to use, and very cheap

email Alex @ Serious Performance to get some serious_performance@hotmail.com

[Edited by BRUN on 11 September 2004 at 2:55pm]

I polish mine ever month probably but it depends on the weather and I usualy end up spending 1/2 the day cleaning it.

i wash mine twice a week quick wash and dry on a wednesday and a wash/polish saturday as soon as i finish work.

i dare say that i would give it a quick polish on a wednesday if i had the time but i dont :)

Well i use autoglym products, with the extra gloss protection once every few months. I did wash it the other day with out polish and it did come up nice, its just when you look closely you can see little water marks (even after drying properly) that polish would get out. Plus have you ever had a black car? I tell you - NEVER AGAIN! They look stunning when they are clean, but keeping them clean is the biggest pain ever!!!

What would you suggest?
Yeh autoglym is a polish and not as good as a wax, you should try either the meguiars 3 step set, or mothers 3 stage system (thats what i use), or you could go for zymol but it costs alot more, pm me if you need more details on the mothers stuff

So as long as im not using an abrasive polish, it shouldnt do any harm to the paint work. I will have to take a look down halfords, see what they have got there.

I agree with Toypop though, as friends and family have had different colours and each colour looks different after a wash. Like white cars, and silver - cant see the difference between a polished bit or not, i suppose thats due to the fact they are bright relective colours anyway. Where as red and black cars i think always look 10 times better after a polish.

But i find polishing my car is a great way to relax the mind and just have time to myself. Some days i can spend anything up to 6 hours cleaning my car, to just see it get bloody rained on the next day!

Thanks for the advice guys.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I was at the dentist yesterday and he is as obsessive as me about keeping his shiny silver Golf GTi in pristine condition, always parking at least a doors width from the next car, washing it off in the rain if muddy after a trip etc etc, and he polishes it far more often than I do mine! When he was parked at McDonalds with it recently, horror of horrors, a child got out of the next car and scratched his Golf door with a toy car.

About a week later he called the chip & dent guy out, who said that the Golf had so much wax built up on it, that the strip of whatever it is that he put over the scratch with the silver colour that should have filled in the scratch, wouldnt stick because of the wax build-up so he had to put some liquid stuff on it to remove the wax layers in that area before he could fill it! He showed me the area on his door where the scratch had been and it was totally invisible.

So as long as im not using an abrasive polish, it shouldnt do any harm to the paint work. I will have to take a look down halfords, see what they have got there.

I agree with Toypop though, as friends and family have had different colours and each colour looks different after a wash. Like white cars, and silver - cant see the difference between a polished bit or not, i suppose thats due to the fact they are bright relective colours anyway. Where as red and black cars i think always look 10 times better after a polish.

But i find polishing my car is a great way to relax the mind and just have time to myself. Some days i can spend anything up to 6 hours cleaning my car, to just see it get bloody rained on the next day!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Same here, about spending all day detailing my car is relaxing and clears your head of any stress, sometimes u dont realise your feeling tense until u spend time unwinding a bit..

Anyway... I was going to tell you.. PLEASE dont try Halfords... they dont sell decent Wax OR Polish..such as Meguiars or Mothers, even there Zymol isnt the good quality stuff that pro detailers use.

If you want to try some really good Wax and Polish, try this link... and its free delivery...this is where i get mine.. its Meguiars that a few guys have already mentioned.. all I use is the NXT WAX ...and there QUIK DETAILER MIST AND WIPE!

These are amazing combo... gleems like nothing else Ive used.. MOTHERS IS ALSO top stuff...some say better, but I have mothers as well.. and cant tell the difference to Meguiars.. BOTH top quality!

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Maguiars.htmlORDER HERE Free Del.

After youve got a few layers of wax on your car.. all you do is use the GOLD CLASS WASH CONDITIONER in a bucket of warm water when the car gets dirty again, and itll shine like its just been waxed again! Good luck.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Why do some people call cleaning/polishing/waxing their car, "DETAILING" it?

Surely it is only valeters who clean Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys etc who use the term "DETAILING" a car!!

From a dictionary - Detailing: Small decorative features on a building, garment, or work of art.

- Cleaning: Freeing from dirt, pollutants, or harmful substances.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Liquidcool on 11 September 2004

LOL.. are u stressed GirlRacer? :eek: Try some detailing...itll calm u down loads..lol (kidding!) ;)
I am always far too laid back to get stressed! :D

Skoda Fabia vRS

right, forget everywhere else !!!

buy your stuff from Alex at Serious Performance

http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukwww.seriousperformance.co.uk

mailto:serious_performance@hotmail.com">serious_performance@hotmail.com

he does FREE delivery, and discount to club members, plus he knows what he is talking about...

Guilbert how old is your car ?

my suggestion would be to order some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax, this will bring up a good gloss and artificially fill minor swirls, hiding them a little, plus its very easy to apply and remove..........i would top this off with Meguiars Paste Wax #16, this gives outstanding beading and durability

i also own a black car !

i get all my stuff from Alex @ SP, and so do quite a few on this forum now...

Polish twice a year wax once a week!

Cant really add anything to this thread as meguirs has already been mentioned!

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 11 September 2004

Why do some people call cleaning/polishing/waxing their car, "DETAILING" it?

Surely it is only valeters who clean Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys etc who use the term "DETAILING" a car!!

From a dictionary - Detailing: Small decorative features on a building, garment, or work of art.

- Cleaning: Freeing from dirt, pollutants, or harmful substances.
they call it that because thats what it is ?, its an american term for cleaning your car, and like evrything else american we adopt it, just because were not profesional valeters doesnt mean we cant call it detailing, what does it matter really.

white , silver and yellow will show up when they need to be polished and waxed .if you look at the colour of the paint it will matt down and you will not get the mirror shine you should get in the paint.i know when my van needs doing again when i look in my side mirrors and i dont have the reflections in the paint or there is no reflection in my bonnet .when the paint is at a high gloss finish you should be able to look in to the paint and it should be colourless just pure reflection like a mirror.

Best cleaning tip I was ever given? Rinse the car with rainwater. I hate leathering a car down, and our black Audi was always covered in watermarks. But two watering cans of rainwater from the water butt poured over it after the hosepipe rinse keeps it clear of "white spot" problems.

The Audi gets a polish (with some cheap Mer) every autumn and spring and some Simonize wax every few weeks. Ill do the same with the white Clio, once I have got rid of the flat paint on the bonnet with T-Cut.

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 12 September 2004

right, forget everywhere else !!!

buy your stuff from Alex at Serious Performance

<A target=_blank href= "http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukwww.seriousperformance.co.uk

<A target=_blank href= "mailto:serious_performance@hotmail.com">serious_performance@hotmail.com

he does FREE delivery, and discount to club members, plus he knows what he is talking about...

Guilbert how old is your car ?

my suggestion would be to order some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax, this will bring up a good gloss and artificially fill minor swirls, hiding them a little, plus its very easy to apply and remove..........i would top this off with Meguiars Paste Wax #16, this gives outstanding beading and durability

i also own a black car !

i get all my stuff from Alex @ SP, and so do quite a few on this forum now...

My car is now about 18 months old. Still looks like new when i clean it properly, which i love!

I will certainly get in contact with Alex at SP and get some good stuff. Just have to wait till i get paid again.

Glad to hear im not the only person who spends hours keeping his/her car clean!

Im waiting for my Meguiars stuff to come through, try http://www.meguiars.comwww.meguiars.com i think not 100% sure it that is the site, but i have ordered near enough £130 worth of cleaning stuff through them. I also had the Supagaurd trt done when i bought the car but im well peed of as birdsh#t has etched the paintwork, even though we washed it off as soon as poss and they told us it would protect it for upto 3 years. and i always use the supaguard trt when cleaning her. But defo try meguiars

Forgive my ignorane, but please could someone confirm the difference between a wax and a polish here? Thanks!! And, when/how often should you use or combine each?

...from reading this thread it reads as if wax *adds* to the build up of sheen on top of the resin/paintwork (looking pretty sexy), whereas a polish contains agents designed to cut through the grime (potentially dulling the overall effect if used alone).... is that right?

If so, Im pretty concerned, cos as an autoglym polish user with a new 182, id hate to think my good intentions may be misguided!! Ta:)

don't

my car gets washed with wash and wax about once a week

then ill probably give it a proper waxing about once every2 months or when i can be bothered, after giving it a damn gd clean sometimes its hard 2 have that extra effort 2 wax aswel :-(

+ my car doesnt clean up the best, dark metallic green

it sparkles alrite but its not my fave colour 2 clean,

a black car id clean more

Quote: Originally posted by Essexlad_Dave on 13 September 2004

my car gets washed with wash and wax about once a week

then ill probably give it a proper waxing about once every2 months or when i can be bothered, after giving it a damn gd clean sometimes its hard 2 have that extra effort 2 wax aswel :-(

+ my car doesnt clean up the best, dark metallic green

it sparkles alrite but its not my fave colour 2 clean,

a black car id clean more

A black car you HAVE to clean more mate! They show the dirt so badly. And pick up all the dust!

Quote: Originally posted by AndyG on 13 September 2004

Forgive my ignorane, but please could someone confirm the difference between a wax and a polish here? Thanks!! And, when/how often should you use or combine each?
http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Maguiars.htmlhttp://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Maguiars.html

Click on the "paul can help" pic at the bottom of the page. Very useful - particularly for me who rarely cleans a car - I spend more time driving it. I could never be accused of being a GJOB but with a black car I gues Ill have to make a bit more effort.