ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How old were you when...

How old were you when you realised you dont really think about he cost of car insurance anymore?

It literally just hit me that its not really a consideration for me now when choosing a car. It used to be all I cared about, fuel consumption and running costs didnt come into it, where as now fuel consumption and running costs are likely to affect my decsion making far more than insurance costs.

I dont even think I'm THAT old... lol

RB 182
I'm 23 and only have to think about it because i refuse to pay over £1k in insurance on anything and having a fast car isn't my biggest priority anymore.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For a few years now.

Always had my own insurance, full NCB, no claims or points so it's always been low for me.

If the worse were to happen (touch wood it doesn't) then you just get on with it. If you want to drive you pay the price. There are cheap policies out there if you look and try hard enough.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
well into my late 20's while I had a period of driving shite (family) cars....

now I'm into my late 30's and drive better cars (or have driven better cars) I don't really give it much thought when looking for a car. Just spend a bit of time looking for the best/lowest policy once I've got a new car....

When I changed from the GTi to the 172, I didn't really look into the costs as I knew that it wouldn't be much different.

I don't think I could go back to paying over £1k again unless it was something pretty special.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
When I changed from the GTi to the 172, I didn't really look into the costs as I knew that it wouldn't be much different.

I don't think I could go back to paying over £1k again unless it was something pretty special.

I agree 100%, something pretty special = M5, 911 etc etc...

I'm 23 and only have to think about it because i refuse to pay over £1k in insurance on anything and having a fast car isn't my biggest priority anymore.

That's the thing, with the right insurers pretty much everything except supercars and S2000s cost me under a grand a now, and so I don't worry about it.

I just realised yesterday and it was a nice feeling, so wondered who else felt that way.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My insurance is still quite expensive but I still don't care about the cost. fed up of my insurance company saying 'no you can't have that car'.

I've never cared about insurance - it's not worth stressing about. You either have it or your one of the t***s that drives around without it

I just factor it in when I buy a car - paid £1850 a year on the 106 when I was younger

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I was quite lucky, the highest i payed for insurance was £1,100 that was on my M3 with tracker/cat 1 alarm fitted, i was 23 at the time but i wanted that car so payed it anyway.

Now being 30 with 10 years NC it annoys me paying under £400 for a shitty 306 Dturbo (work horse) but needs must i guest.
Insurance companies are a joke, there should be some law that stops them from charging stupid prices on policies.

Impreza Wagon
I'm 25 and pay £600 to insure the 182 which I'm very happy with. Never really think about the renewal prices unless they're higher than the year before!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I think about it every year. I'd change if i could save a reasonable margin... Scottish.

172 Cup CC
My first years insurance was £515, have never paid more than that. I've always shopped around for the best deals anyway, the internet makes things much easier, whereas I used to spend a day or so on the phone ringing around, I now use a comparison site, pick the best few and concentrate on them, either on websites or phone. When I bought a 172 a few mpnths back I didn't even think about the insurance, just rang them and changed the car, the fee for changing was more than the difference in premium! 31 now with full NCB and no fault accidents (in fact only ever had one accident and that was over 7 years ago when some muppet drove into the back of me at a roundabout on the A1) also have no points on licence.

My ex-wifes insurance actually went down when she added me as second driver, she wasn't very happy when we split up, she moved to a much less desirable postcode and removed me from the policy and her premiums jumped quite a lot!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Think i paid £1850 for my 106 gti when i was 21, didnt really care though as it was a car that id wanted for years. Other than than, its always been about £400-£850 per year, depending on what im driving at the time.

Although for the last 12 months, ive had two policies, ouch.

Insurance is one of those things you simply have to have though, so like fuel & car tax, you just have to suck it up & pay.

Titanium 182
Never really worried me, although I do agree it's nicer now it takes away less of my earnings. Only 22yrs old but I now have 4yrs no claims - always insured my cars under my own name and so far *touch wood* I haven't made a claim so compared to what I was paying at 17 I'm laughing!