ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable is the "miles to go" trip?

Silver 172 Mk2
I wa wondering how much you guys have trusted the trip on the mk2 172?

When mine is on the red it can sometimes say i stll have 60 odd miles to go!!

Also, i have never seen my fuel light come on! and i often drive into the red.

The light comes on when there 5 liters left but the tolerance isn't exactly tight on the computer you could have anywhere bettwen about 3.5 and 7 liters left.

172 Cup
I have driven for 30 miles with the light on once but on another occasion I ran out of petrol after 2 miles on the light...

cant really depend on the trip.........as it supposed to calculate how much fuel u av on the way you drive ??? mine goes blank with about 30 miles to go .......then fuel empty light comes on.. :( :( normally av about a little reserve but always fill before or when running low

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I dont depend on it too much.Ive had it reading 80 miles and gone round an island quick and its came on....
Its a victim of its own accuracy if you ask me.The computer reads the car a thousand times a second and any increase or decrease means something else

ian

Megane Mk4
Normally you can get 35/40 miles out of it when the light comes on but, before now I've had just under 1/8 tank and been going round a tight bend and the light has come on.

Andi

Megane R26
Mines great, fuel gauge reads off the scale, and trip says still got 50miles left. Got 60miles out of the light, but that was on fumes, as I coasterd down a hill to find it bone dry. Quick phone call to the sis, and a jimmy can later, back on the road :p

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
I was wondering this earlier, as the needdle's one dash above red but the computer says I've got 160 miles left! Doesn't really add up when I've done 180 miles since it was full. I suppose you've got much more left than in older cars when the needle's near the bottom. People are getting more stupid, especially on the roads so they must have to account for that. Do 172s have a reserve tank like 16vs? What a funny set up that was, when the tank gets empty a little pump moves fuel from a little reserve tank into the main one. Er, did anyone suggest making the main tank a little bigger? :p It's nice to see the needle move itself up tough after the light comes on on the M6 10 miles from home!

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
ours reads a bit strange too - we've had it reading 200 miles to go with only quarter of a tank left.

i read somewhere though that after a certain amount of data the compter becomes "full"? if you re-set it and drive a mile it will settle down.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I've never trusted mine that much - mainly because I ran my old nova out of petrol years ago and it cost me a fortune in filters and pumps and carb cleaning!

Megane R26
Anyone else find with their 172 that a fill up can never get more than 45 odd litres. thought it was a 50 ltr tank. Pump normally starts clicking around 42ltrs :/

Clown Car
After buying my 182 last week i thought i would run it until the light came on, then see how much fuel i could get in it so i would know how much is left to play with.

Well the needle on the fuel gauge is off the gauge below the red, no light on yet and trip is telling me i have got 34 miles left range, been to the garage and managed to squeeze 40 litres in, hmm so that is actually about 10 litres left roughly 2 gallons, averaging 30 mpg so i should have been looking at twice that range left.

How much of the 50 litres is useable?

Edit - Oh anyone know what triggers the warning light, is it main float posistion or a seperate float/switch?

Mark5290 said:
How much of the 50 litres is useable?

Edit - Oh anyone know what triggers the warning light, is it main float posistion or a seperate float/switch?
All the tanks usable.
It works off the output from the fuel tank sensor in Ohms the light comes on or should come on at 5 liters remaning but the sensors accuracy isn't stunning so it can be between 4 and 6 or so.
The trip uses the tank sensor reading to work out remaining ranage so accurance is only as good as the eading and Renault tolerances arn't that tight so thats why at 20 miles left it could conc out and -20 miles left it can conc out.