ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How secure are clios?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just thinking today, if someone was actually able to break into the clio, how secure are they in immobilising/not allowing them to get any further?
I know a lot of people struggle with the key and getting rid of the immobiliser light, so was just wondering how difficult this really is to bypass for a criminal?

I'm not after details on how to do it, just interesting to know how secure they really are.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Any car with a push button start can be stolen in minutes without keys, M3's, M5's, RS4's, the list goes on and the value goes up. £500 Clio with no interior? That's all the security you're ever going to need :smile:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Thieves are also badge snobs so tend not to go for renaults as much.

If I had a new car I'd feel safer with a meg 250 sat outside compared to a Golf R or Focus RS...

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't have another German performance car given to me, and mine was 8yrs old. Enter the 20 pence Clio, leave it unlocked :smile:

Volvo S60 T5
Piss easy to nick , can get in one without breaking glass in around a 60 seconds and as long as the laptop is powered up can have it started in around another 60 secs.
I expect that's slow compared to a pro thief.
Same with Meganes and scenics as long as they have not been deadlocked otherwise that's a smashed window.
Oh forgot would have to muller steering lock on clio so a bit harder than say a Megane R26R for examale.

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just thinking today, if someone was actually able to break into the clio, how secure are they in immobilising/not allowing them to get any further?
I know a lot of people struggle with the key and getting rid of the immobiliser light, so was just wondering how difficult this really is to bypass for a criminal?

I'm not after details on how to do it, just interesting to know how secure they really are.

s**t ! 50 quid gadget off eBay will be all you need that's how mine was taken :rage:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Piss easy to nick , can get in one without breaking glass in around a 60 seconds and as long as the laptop is powered up can have it started in around another 60 secs.
I expect that's slow compared to a pro thief.
Same with Meganes and scenics as long as they have not been deadlocked otherwise that's a smashed window.
Oh forgot would have to muller steering lock on clio so a bit harder than say a Megane R26R for examale.
Is that just push button start, or could you get my dented 17 year old 172 started too?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely shocking how quick and simple cars can be stolen. It seems with modern technology on new cars it's even easier than it was before.

I presume you can just fool the clio into thinking the key is there in order to immobilise it, then force it to start.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
I've seen my clio broken into in 30 seconds flat. Involved the reverse light switch in the gearbox (and that's all I'll say, for the sake of everyone who still has one!)

I'd love to have an AA man's laptop, I reckon there's information on how to get into pretty much every car on the market.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I would say most cars for a pro are easy. Didn't someone on here get their st stolen without the keys?

@Scrooge maybe?

@brisa4984 Was quite unfortunate a few years back having he's be stolen from outside he's house. He came home from work and parked up (the car was parked next to the front window) went in and fell asleep. 1/2hr missus asked where he's car was, which was then stolen.

Oddly he saw it being driven a few weeks later and chased it.

Mark will be able to clarify the story and outcome.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
@brisa4984 Was quite unfortunate a few years back having he's be stolen from outside he's house. He came home from work and parked up (the car was parked next to the front window) went in and fell asleep. 1/2hr missus asked where he's car was, which was then stolen.

Oddly he saw it being driven a few weeks later and chased it.

Mark will be able to clarify the story and outcome.

Exactly. Stolen so quick that some insurers now don't bother giving a quote. I think green light insurance now exclude it. Can't blame them.

I was in my brothers 1.4 corsa when I saw the car being driven at 2 am. I tried desperately to chase it whilst on the phone to the police but it left me for dead on the m25. It was recovered after a police chase and wrote off with 10k damage.

rearlet.jpg

It's a shame because the 135i and 123d are decent looking and nice cars.

Clio 182
Best thing to do is wire electric and or fuel cut off switches down near peddles out of sight somewhere if you're that worried about it getting nicked.