ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How soon can I polish my new bonnet?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Just had a new bonnet fitted to replace the damaged one after the wind [and subsequent damage] we had a few weeks back.

Very impressed with quality of fit, colour match [perfect] and customer service.

Only thing to comment is it has some light swirls [buffer trails someone suggests?] from being machine polished.

You can only really notice it under artificial light in subdued light.

Question is, how soon can I polish and wax it to get it spot on? Does it need a few weeks to fully harden etc????

And will hand polishing do the trick? I clayed, polished, sealed the old bonnet [as a practice before doing the rest of my car] before it went in the garage and I made a cracking job of it, but that didnt really have any swirls on that i could notice.

James

yeah as alan says, let it really set before you attempt even a light polish. wax it to protect it for now then give it a light polish, then in a couple of months give it a PC

jamie

106 GTi
Other way round boys fine to polish but NOT wax or Seal

Will have been flatted and polished after painting. Using a bodyshop safe polish without sealants or waxes in is a must, ie no Autoglym Super Resin etc.

If you want to polish it gets some bodyshop safe Meguiars or 3M

106 GTi
Most repaints need to cure and while doing so need to breath, sealing and waxing stops this. Though - If it has been baked enough if maybe safe to seal straight away but you painter should advise on this.

Polishing is fine as long as it does not include anything that will seal the paint to stop it curing. I polish lots of panels not long after they have been painted after wet flatting them to get a perfect finish.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Um....

The guy at the garage said it had been waxed [he may have meant polished?] however, it is a brand new bonnet, and they have two very up to date ovens.

Presume its been baked then waxed. Washed it today and there was some serious beading going on!!!

They had the car all day monday and tuesday.

So if i leave it 6 weeks to be safe, then polish and wax, will i get rid of the swirls? It usually does with the swirls i get thro previous cleaning.

Thanks guys

James

Octavia VRS
Other way round boys fine to polish but NOT wax or Seal

Will have been flatted and polished after painting. Using a bodyshop safe polish without sealants or waxes in is a must, ie no Autoglym Super Resin etc.

If you want to polish it gets some bodyshop safe Meguiars or 3M

what the boy Rich told me after I got a wing/bumper resprayed. Left it 3 months anyway lol

106 GTi
Um....

The guy at the garage said it had been waxed [he may have meant polished?] however, it is a brand new bonnet, and they have two very up to date ovens.

Presume its been baked then waxed. Washed it today and there was some serious beading going on!!!

They had the car all day monday and tuesday.

So if i leave it 6 weeks to be safe, then polish and wax, will i get rid of the swirls? It usually does with the swirls i get thro previous cleaning.

Thanks guys

James

Clean paint will bead anyway regardless of wax or sealant.

If in doubt call the guy that painted it better to be safe than sorry and ask him. Some paints are fine to wax after baking.

Re polishing it to get rid of the swirls whatever polish that is strong enough to remove the swirls will be fine as long as it is pure polish (providing he says it needs cure time, if not then use whatever).

In all honesty there should be no swirls in it now if they have finished it properly at the bodyshop. If it is swirled take it back and get it sorted.

Rich is right, polish is fine, wax is not

Even with their ovens it may not be fully baked - don't forget when its factory baked its just a shell with no rubbers etc so temps are much higher than an aftermarket body shop.

Given the state most cars leave bodyshops I am alwaus dubious about any advice from them lol!!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
It was baked off the car, then fittings added, and fitted on the car the following afternoon.

I'm pleased with the job, but I'll ring them to let them know my reservations.

If I can polish it out [as usual] I don't mind waiting a few weeks, the rest of the car is well ready anyway. i dont want to take it back and them mess it up further. I am particularly picky about paintwork. So even if its 95% acceptable, I'd still comment on the other 5%.

How much would it cost for a full PC session Rich? i.e how much would you charge? Its Monaco Blue.

106 GTi
You can polish it with the likes of Meguairs Speed Glaze and other bodyshop safe polishes now, I polish new paint with the Megs pro polishes, Poorboys SSR's and Menzerna almost straight after the gun has finished doing its job!

If you do want to wait a couple of months should be fine. Most places say allow 30 - 90 days.

I normally quote on paint condition but approx £75 quid upwards.