ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to change gearbox oil on a mk2 1.2 ?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone have a guide with this, pictures would be a massive help. Is it an easy job to do on the driveway?

Also, can anyone please confirm the correct grade of oil needed for a 2004 1.2 16v clio mk2?

How many lites does the 1.2 take?

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Piece of piss pretty much the same as an oil change. Basically if I remember...

Crack open the drain plug, drain box oil out, tighten up drain plug, there is a plastic wing nut on the box at the front open that get a piece of hose that fits in and put a funnel on end of hose and fill with box oil till it drips out the fill hole.

I used Millers 75w80 in mine.

P.S. Haynes states, 3.4 litres to fill and also they use Elf Tranself TRJ 75W80

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that mate!

Do you have any idea what size hose to get? I dont want it to be too big that it doesnt fit in the fill whole lol?

Piece of piss pretty much the same as an oil change. Basically if I remember...

Crack open the drain plug, drain box oil out, tighten up drain plug, there is a plastic wing nut on the box at the front open that get a piece of hose that fits in and put a funnel on end of hose and fill with box oil till it drips out the fill hole.

I used Millers 75w80 in mine.

P.S. Haynes states, 3.4 litres to fill and also they use Elf Tranself TRJ 75W80

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Cheers for that mate!

Do you have any idea what size hose to get? I dont want it to be too big that it doesnt fit in the fill whole lol?

Can't remember I think I just used a piece of garden hose when i did it, was years ago though.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
There's a guide on here if you do a search. I just used a bit of garden hose I had laying around when I did mine, fit perfectly.

Just remember you'll need a new copper washer as well!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
There's a guide on here if you do a search. I just used a bit of garden hose I had laying around when I did mine, fit perfectly.

Just remember you'll need a new copper washer as well!
Thanks mate. Do you know if the washer is the same size as the oil sump lug as I have one of those spare?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
And can anyone confirm if any 75 80 will be fine or does it have to be a specific type?

@Mavez i can only see elf nfj but you said trj. Is it the same thing?

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Yeah the Elf nfj 75W80 GL4 will be perfect says suitable for all J type boxes. The Haynes manual is pretty old so they might have just changed the name of it, any 75W80 GL4 box oil should suffice tbh. Regarding the sump plug washer i'm not too sure i can't remember i think it's the same but i'm not 100% sure.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Thanks mate. Do you know if the washer is the same size as the oil sump lug as I have one of those spare?

Possibly same size but gearbox washer is just a copper washer where as the engine oil washer is silver and has a black bit on it. You need the copper one.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly same size but gearbox washer is just a copper washer where as the engine oil washer is silver and has a black bit on it. You need the copper one.

Yes mate I have the copper one as thats the type I used on the oil filter on the 1.2

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently needs 3.4 which is surprising as thats more than the 182 takes.

I have found 4 lites on ebay for £32.99