ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to change heater resistor

I own a 93 Clio 1,4 RN. The heater suddenly started working only on 2 out of 3 levels and now it doesnt work at all. My local Renault dealer told me to change the heater resistor and thats where my problem starts. Where is the heater resistor fitted? And how to change it?

Please help!:oops:

I should imagine theyre refering to the switch gear that adjusts the fan level. Would imagine its just behind the switch or its actually the switch.

The Jinx

Nope. Its under the plastic cowling at the base of the windscreen.

You need to mark where the wipers are on the windscreen using some kind of tape (electrical is good). Then remove the wipers.

Then undo the cowling which has a screw at either end and one in the mmiddle IIRC. Be careful as theres some plastic clips holding each half of the cowling together, and some metal ones holding it to the body. A good tug should do.

Then you remove the jack. Undo the 3 retaining bolts for the wiper mechanism, and manouevre it out. To do this you might have to unbolt the ECU (the box the jack was strapped to).

Then in the middle of the windscreen (at the base) youll see the heater blower. Theres a multiplug plugged in to it, so unlcip it. The bit that that was plugged in to comes out and that is the resistor.

Ta da. Not too difficult TBH.

The first time I did mine I got it out in 1/2 an hour.

Well, Ive looked behind the switch and also behind the rest of the dash, but nothing similar to find. Someone told me to look under the cover where the wipers are fitted, but I simply couldnt find anything there either. Could it be fitted closer to the engine?

The Jinx

Should imagine its the same mate TBH, but RHD yeah. The resistor is on the drivers side of a RHD one so I imagine it will be on the pass. side in yours. What side is your washer bottle on?

Well, changed the heater resistor today. Thanks to mike8579 we actually found the location of the resistor and everything went well, until we tried to start the heater fan...no reaction. So we checked the fuses again, but none of them were burned, so what could it be? The switch? Its getting colder here in Norway, so Im kind of hoping to solve the problem before the first snow. :confused: