ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to fit top mounts?

172 ph1
I'm trying to find out if I still need to buy OEM topmounts if I'm going to have a set of coilovers fitted :dunno:

I'm trying to find out if I still need to buy OEM topmounts if I'm going to have a set of coilovers fitted :dunno:
You use the ones you already have iirc.

Putting them on is a reverse of taking them off! You should keep them in order in future ;)

172 ph1
You use the ones you already have iirc.

Putting them on is a reverse of taking them off! You should keep them in order in future ;)
My car is very high mileage with worn suspension parts. Going to fit KW's V2 but I don't know if the V2 has its own topmounts or uses the Renault ones? If so I probably need to buy new ones...

VX220 lightning
I am going to get uprated ones, not sure on what (advice would be great), but I wondered if I could simply fit them myself, and if there was a step by step guide on here (did a search but nothing).

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
Hey mate. It's a pretty simple job to do, but you will need spring compressors , and you may need access to an impact wrench in order to loosen the top nuts.

Basically: Slacken top nuts under bonnet, jack up car and remove struts , clamp the springs and remove the top mounts , refit in reverse. Where in Essex are you?

VX220 lightning
ok... confused here... I am not a mechanic, but have got a whole day allocated for this. so can i do it (with normal household tools)?

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
Well , both times I've done top mounts I've used spring compressors to help get the top mount on as I found it easier. Takes about 2 mins to do up compressors and saves f**king around trying to pull the damper insert up as much. I am clearly wrong though , so I'll shut up.

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
ok... confused here... I am not a mechanic, but have got a whole day allocated for this. so can i do it (with normal household tools)?

If you've got a jack/axle stand , decent socket set and spanners you should be fine, it's a pretty quick job. You can use an allen key and ring spanner on the top mount instead of impact wrench , just give it some wd40 first.

VX220 lightning
If you've got a jack/axle stand , decent socket set and spanners you should be fine, it's a pretty quick job. You can use an allen key and ring spanner on the top mount instead of impact wrench , just give it some wd40 first.

got a good jack and a decent socket set so hopefully i will be alright. you on here often mate? just thinking if i get stuck, maybe I could drop you a pm?

SQ5
Sorry I thought you meant you were taking the whole shock of the car to do it. Like changing springs you do not need them!