ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to Heel and Toe Downshift

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Something you need practise at for sure. Taught myself in my old 1.2, was tricky because the throttle response was that slow, had to give it a real stab to get the revs up.

Revved the t*ts off my 182 first time I tried because the throttle response was so much better.

You only realise the importance when you use it on track really (unless you drive like that on the road lol).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You only realise the importance when you use it on track really (unless you drive like that on the road lol).

So very true. Generally I don't do it on the road as I tend to separate braking and down shifting hence the focus on basic rev matching which also has the added benefit of getting the timing of it into your head before attempting the tricky H&T shifts.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
So very true. Generally I don't do it on the road as I tend to separate braking and down shifting hence the focus on basic rev matching which also has the added benefit of getting the timing of it into your head before attempting the tricky H&T shifts.
Yep. An M3 span infront of us in the rain on the pit straight at Oulton Park once, wheels broke traction when he downshifted a bit early without rev matching. RWD is even more important than FWD.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
RWD is even more important than FWD.

In terms of locking the driven wheels absolutely it is...but in terms of just keeping the car balanced and stable it's equally important regardless of the driven wheels.

I really should get myself something RWD at some point in my life...that'll be a way off though as I have several years of 4WD to get through first.