ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to mess up a crash sequence...

Take one heavy crash...

[youtube]mgoo9UON-Gw[/youtube]

Take one Nikon D50 and 80-200 lens, start your panning sequence at 1/160...

335778840_dBz6t-L.jpg

Continue to shoot in burst mode, sharpening up the shot with smoother panning...

335542539_5zqsc-L.jpg

Then don't realise your panning has taken you behind a fence post...

335756325_BSxbZ-L.jpg

Arse! Approx 10 similar crashes this weekend and I missed every one of them.

Anyhow, a few other pics from the Castle Combe Great & British Festival weekend.

335436786_FmjXJ-L.jpg

335449508_NXvio-L.jpg

335537671_TjS65-L.jpg

335441833_QDyG2-L.jpg

335446827_uV4Yk-L.jpg

335540062_fg8U2-L.jpg

335543306_wPE5q-L.jpg

and a couple from Saturday night when we camped at the circuit...

335444057_LEVGi-L.jpg

335444440_gy8Wp-L.jpg

335445548_g2G8e-L.jpg

A few more here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/5485933_pVvpu

Really is a pretty poor package, the Dunlop Sport Maxx is the worst series I've seen this year, the Radicals are pretty dull (two 50 minute races), only the Westfield races (which Evo compete in) and the awesome Minis improve a very average package of events.

Turbos.
Those are some very impressive pics. There are some good photographers on here but you always seem to get very sharp, clear photos that always seem a little better than the rest.

Do you spend every moment of your life at race tracks?!

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Great pics as always :) Megane seems to be having a slight problem there, which day you go on? Wish id have known this was on

LY R26
great pics as usual Chris, i wanted to get to this but was working, havent been able to catch a proper race meet at combe for ages :(

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is that on Quarry??!?!!

How the fook did he do that??

335540062_fg8U2-L.jpg

Awesome pics as usual U.K. Ask You. ;)

Last edited:
To answer a few questions...

1) I've been to 16 Motorsport events so far this year, so I don't spend EVERY moment of my life at race tracks :) I would if I could afford the petrol and the other half didn't mind ever seeing me, though!

2) I was there both days, camped overnight behind the Esses as well. Can highly recommend The Tavern in the Paddock, they do an awesome evening meal :)

3) Not sure what happened to the Megane, overcooked Avon Rise I imagine and took the fairly common 'crash line' across the grass, straight over the track and into the Quarry tyre wall, not too often they do it backwards though.

335956525_NNGe6-L.jpg

335956384_SMwxF-L.jpg

Managed to get a shot of Kift in the MSN Saloons before he had to call it a day.

335958165_AouGM-L.jpg

Ooh, proof Chris is human after all. I thought you were a machine.

Useless when it comes to crashes mate, I usually end up watching open mouthed. Must have seen 70+ crashes at Combe and I've never caught one properly. For once I can also blame my equipment as well, my little £100 DSLR can only shoot at 2 frames per second, which isn't very quick.

Sport Maxx times may interest you, completely standard engines, wheels, brakes etc with minor changes allowed to suspension (no coilovers) and all run on Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres, the 182 was running around 1:23.5 - 1:25.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Awesome pics as ever ! I need to force myself to shoot at lower shutter speeds after seeing your offerings.

Not sure where to start with sorting mine - two day event at combe = headaches !

I discovered the Tavern Breakfasts for the first time on Sunday - I think it may be a new tradition for me from now one !

Awesome pics as ever ! I need to force myself to shoot at lower shutter speeds after seeing your offerings.

Not sure where to start with sorting mine - two day event at combe = headaches !

I discovered the Tavern Breakfasts for the first time on Sunday - I think it may be a new tradition for me from now one !

We nearly went for a breakfast but the other half stayed asleep for the CC Saloon qualifying so we would have been a bit late. Will have to try it sometime.

I wouldn't bother with slower shutter speeds on sunny days like that, real pain in the arse to deal with to be honest. Got a few at 1/30 or thereabouts but everything else needed to be 1/125 - 1/160 and even that was pretty tough. Approx 100 keepers from 800 shots, not good! Would say these are my worst of the year so far. Worth having a play around on an overcast day though.

106 GTi
I will be eating there from now on in the mornings rather than the vans ! Had lunch in there a few times and they did a good BBQ on Thursday for the Racing Club social evening.

I stay safe at 1/320 and 1/200 all the time though with the 300 and 300 and 1.4x on - I need to go down to 1/160 at least !

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sport Maxx times may interest you, completely standard engines, wheels, brakes etc with minor changes allowed to suspension (no coilovers) and all run on Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres, the 182 was running around 1:23.5 - 1:25.

Last time I had a solid clear lap that was 'on it' was about 18 months ago - 1:30.

My driving has changed so much since, and I know how poor my lines and approach to Combe were back then.

5 seconds to find though...at least I wouldn't get too embarrassed!

Last time I had a solid clear lap that was 'on it' was about 18 months ago - 1:30.

My driving has changed so much since, and I know how poor my lines and approach to Combe were back then.

5 seconds to find though...at least I wouldn't get too embarrassed!

Oddly the 172 goes in Class B, but the 182 goes in Class A (as does the 197, but only just), meaning the 172 is very competitive but the 182 isn't! Power to weight ratios to assign cars to classes are taken from the latest issue of Evo magazine (really). That pretty much writes off any chance a 197 or 182 would ever have, much better to run a 172 and be at the top end of Class B. Quite an odd Championship, really.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Very nice pics there. Wish I went now.

I don't understand why is the MCS entered into A class. Would have been much better to get a non works and be in top of B class instead.

What else is in the B class Chris?

The following are allowed:

Class B 131 to 161bhp per Ton

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T (136) Citroen Xsara VTS (143) Fiat Stilo Abarth (137) Ford Focus ST 170 (143) Ford Fiesta ST (132) MG ZR 160 (147) MG ZS 180 (144) Mini Cooper S (143) Mini Cooper S R56 (155) Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (158) Renault Clio 172 (156) Seat Ibiza Cupra (145) Seat Leon FR(141) VW Golf GTi 200ps (150) Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 (159) Saab 93 Aero (153) Ford Mondeo ST 220 (146) Honda Accord Type S (137) Mazda 6 MPS (156) Skoda Octavia VRS (135) Volvo S40 T5 (155) Mitsubishi Colt CZT (140) Fiat Bravo 1.9 MultiJet (111 D) Alfa 147 MultiJet (115 D) BMW 120d (116 D) Honda Civic Type R-2007 on (158) Peugeot 207Gti THP175 (140) Audi TT TFSI (159)Chrysler Crossfire (157) Toyota Celica T Sport (158) Vauxhall Corsa SRi (140).

Renaultsport 220T

Sorry to have to correct you Chris. The cars are allowed to be remapped, can run modified exhausts and they do run coilovers. Megane is running approx 250bhp.

Simon looked quite lucky not to have impacted the tyre wall, after his little grass cutting exercise. I'll send him the link to your pics.

Great shots as always by the way. I like these two of him.

335450657_vAsHK-L.jpg

335449952_K5Mqg-L.jpg

Sorry to have to correct you Chris. The cars are allowed to be remapped, can run modified exhausts and they do run coilovers. Megane is running approx 250bhp.
[/IMG]

Interesting, I must have mis-read the regs as they look extremely strict. The 2008 regs on the BARC site state...

5.8.2.2 „Coil over shock absorbers are not permitted unless fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

It does mention that remapping of the standard ECU is allowed, as is an aftermarket exhaust downstream of the manifold (but must retain a cat)

Looks like they've had issues with weight reduction as well as there are several revisions to the regs stating everything must be retained unless specifically stated that it can be removed, I imagine Mark's car would be a little too stripped!

Renaultsport 220T
[/IMG]

Interesting, I must have mis-read the regs as they look extremely strict. The 2008 regs on the BARC site state...

5.8.2.2 „Coil over shock absorbers are not permitted unless fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

It does mention that remapping of the standard ECU is allowed, as is an aftermarket exhaust downstream of the manifold (but must retain a cat)

Looks like they've had issues with weight reduction as well as there are several revisions to the regs stating everything must be retained unless specifically stated that it can be removed, I imagine Mark's car would be a little too stripped!

No, it's well within the regs. It wouldn't have passed scrutineering otherwise.

Apologies about the coil overs, you are right, it's next year that they are allowed to run them on the rear, without body modification. I don't read the rule book, can you tell. lol

Last edited:

We nearly went for a breakfast but the other half stayed asleep for the CC Saloon qualifying so we would have been a bit late. Will have to try it sometime.

I wouldn't bother with slower shutter speeds on sunny days like that, real pain in the arse to deal with to be honest. Got a few at 1/30 or thereabouts but everything else needed to be 1/125 - 1/160 and even that was pretty tough. Approx 100 keepers from 800 shots, not good! Would say these are my worst of the year so far. Worth having a play around on an overcast day though.
Worth running an ND filter?