ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to remove petrol cap cover/door

Megane R26
I'd also like to know this, is there nuts inside the wheel arch? Mine has rust under it....

CursedTitanium 182FF
Renault Forums.co.uk
Obtain 4 new pop rivets for the plastic filler cap housing from Renault (and make sure you have a head large enough on your rivet gun to put the new ones in!!!)
eek.gif

Drill out the old ones, remove the 2 torx screws and if possible, remove outer flap & hinge (I believe they are held by 2 bolts that have to be undone from inside the wing)
Remove loose rust & paint & treat with rust stopper (does anyone have recommendations on a make of rust stopper???)
confused.gif

Mask off area & spray with primer (or primer filler) and once dry, sand area until smooth.

Spray with colour and allow to dry (I think the original paintwork in the area wasn't lacquered - so I shouldn't need to do this.)

Reassemble the components - hopefully job done!?

Mine needs doing also.

I believe the nuts are under the OS/R wheel arch near the fuel filler neck, they will be rusty as hell so you will need replacements I should think.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup. The bolts will turn inside the plastic when you try to remove them.

You might end up damaging the flap itself.

Been there. Got the tshirt and the invoice for a new one.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Yup, check to see if the nuts are seized so you don't risk cracking the plastic undoing them. Not sure how easily they are to get to with the filler neck in place, but with the tank out you can dremmel them off.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The bolts are captive in the platic so you can't grab the bolts without ruining the plastic. You'll see them as you open the flap.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
i used a pair of grips to stop the bolts from spinning then undid the 2 ten mills under the wheel arch

The bolts are captive in the platic so you can't grab the bolts without ruining the plastic. You'll see them as you open the flap.

This. Surely if they're corroded to f**k it'll ruin/split the plastic bracket?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
To grab the bolts you would have to ruin the plastic.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bit of a thread bump but @gally do you recall how you got the nuts out or did the whole flap hinge assembly need replacing?