ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to replace a fuel injector?

PH1 172
Have done a search for injector and couldn't find how to replace the fuel injector so if anyone can be kind enough to tell me it will be appreciated :)

Cheers

53 Clio's & counting
your car has 4 mate, they are located under the funny metal cover at the front of your engine (the one that gets in the way when removing your oil filter lol)

you remove the two nuts holding this on, undo the clips that hold the wiring and pipes for the rail,undo 2 further nuts, then from memory you pull the whole rail out,(it fits into the lower plenum) then remove the offending injector from the rail

What problem do you have?

BMW M135i
Disconnect the fuel pump and start the car a few times until it won't start to depressurise the rail would be a good idea to start with unless you've got a petrol bathing fetish or something.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Disconnect the fuel pump and start the car a few times until it won't start to depressurise the rail would be a good idea to start with unless you've got a petrol bathing fetish or something.

why did i not think of that, i wouldnt have got vpower in my eye if id have thought of that!!

PH1 172
Cheers for the replies :)...BMH do I just disconnect the wire under the back seat or do I pull the relay in the engine bay?

your car has 4 mate, they are located under the funny metal cover at the front of your engine (the one that gets in the way when removing your oil filter lol)

you remove the two nuts holding this on, undo the clips that hold the wiring and pipes for the rail,undo 2 further nuts, then from memory you pull the whole rail out,(it fits into the lower plenum) then remove the offending injector from the rail

What problem do you have?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=465109 that's the problem I am having mate and now I have plugged the diagnostics in I am getting a fault reading: Injector 4 fault and when the car is running I get the same fault but another one says Injector 4 open circuit fault. I am hoping it's just a lose connector and with a clean it will be ok again but if not then I will have to replace the injector. Cheers for the reply and info mate......can I get to the connectors on the injectors without removing anything to check them?

BMW M135i
Can do either tbh whatevers easiest, you'll be surprised how long it'll run without the pump running if its primed recently. So deffo try starting it 3 or 4 times after it cuts out the first time.

Yes you can see the injector connectors easily once the fuel rail guards off.

53 Clio's & counting
if cleaning them doesnt work, you can send yours away to be chemically cleaned

also try swapping it with the injector next to it, see if the fault changes to that injector, this will make sure its the injector at fault not a wiring break

172 turbo
i had fun putting them all back in 2nd hand 1s and the clips are so fun read my story mate new pump injectors and sparks u think you had it bad !!?

PH1 172
Cheers for all the replies :)

Is there anyway I can check the connections without having to take anything apart first as in the clips on the ends before I actually take things apart to check the injector itself?

Also when looking at the car face on (drivers side is on the left) how are the injectors labelled? 1-4 drivers side to passenger side or 4-1 if that makes sense?

Can do either tbh whatevers easiest, you'll be surprised how long it'll run without the pump running if its primed recently. So deffo try starting it 3 or 4 times after it cuts out the first time.

Yes you can see the injector connectors easily once the fuel rail guards off.

Okey doke I will make sure to remember this unless I decide not to tackle the task lol.

Thanks for the help all :)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
they are located under the funny metal cover at the front of your engine (the one that gets in the way when removing your oil filter lol)

Off topic, but what is that for???

Had to remove mine but when it came off, I couldn't see any/much use for it.....

BMW M135i
Off topic, but what is that for???

Had to remove mine but when it came off, I couldn't see any/much use for it.....
If you have a front end shunt it won't break the plastic fuel rail and spray petrol everywhere. So personally i'm under the opinion its best to leave it on :eek:.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
If you have a front end shunt it won't break the plastic fuel rail and spray petrol everywhere. So personally i'm under the opinion its best to leave it on :eek:.

I put it back on, just had to remove it to get to the oil filter. Should have made that clear in my original post.

Was just curious, thans for the info.

BMW M135i
Quite a few peeps seem to have removed them for xyz reasons and i'd say its best left on imo. Its gotta come off to get the oil filter off without seriously struggling like you do with the meg and the inlet fanimolds in the same place and obviously not so easily removable :mad:

PH1 172
How do you get that metal block off as I can't get a tool in the holes at the front to undo the 3 bolts e.g. this is one of the holes below
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

then i take it I have to undo the bolt below and 1 the other end to get the fuel rail off?

IMG_0035.jpg

Is that a glimpse of the injector I can see just to the left of that bolt (copper shine)?

IMG_0037.jpg

BMW M135i
How do you get that metal block off as I can't get a tool in the holes at the front to undo the 3 bolts e.g. this is one of the holes below

10 or 13mm socket (i can't remember it varies between rs's and cooking models) on a 3" extension up the two lefthand holes to get the nuts off.

then i take it I have to undo the bolt below and 1 the other end to get the fuel rail off?

Indeedy

Is that a glimpse of the injector I can see just to the left of that bolt (copper shine)?

Thats the clip that retains the injector onto the rail but near enough yes. Its a steel clip its just rusted.

PH1 172

10 or 13mm socket (i can't remember it varies between rs's and cooking models) on a 3" extension up the two lefthand holes to get the nuts off.

Indeedy

Thats the clip that retains the injector onto the rail but near enough yes. Its a steel clip its just rusted.

Cheers for the answers/info bmh :) will give it a go when I have at least an hour to spare and hopefully I can get it sorted.