ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to tell if i have the correct engine in my 172 cup

172 cup
i was reading a post on here about a liquid yellow 182 for sale years ago and prompted me to ask this question,

to cut a long story short , I slid into a kerb and broke the ball joint and the drive shaft , I found that a normal 172/182 drive shaft fit ( I have a 172 cup ), but I was lead to believe that the 172 cup drive shafts where different !

so question being is how can I tell for sure I have the correct or a different engine in my cup?

many thanks

1.7 cdti
I was under the impression that the differences were in the suspension rather than the engine and box

172 cup
im not sure what u mean theevilgiraffe but at a guess, I replaced the drivers side driveshaft, the end of the shaft at teeth that slotted into the box/engine.

172 cup
like my picture posted below ( is what I ended up replacing to get the car running ). I went to Renault and got a drivers side but didn't fit. im not clued up on cars but I could be wrong

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 113

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
im not sure what u mean theevilgiraffe but at a guess, I replaced the drivers side driveshaft, the end of the shaft at teeth that slotted into the box/engine.

I think he's saying the engine doesn't matter it's the gearbox and suspension that does.

PH2 172
like my picture posted below ( is what I ended up replacing to get the car running ). I went to Renault and got a drivers side but didn't fit. im not clued up on cars but I could be wrong
That's not a 172 Cup shaft, which would have no support bearing on the UK drivers side.

172 cup
come on man im not asking for the fun of it and snide remarks, just info on the matter would help me out loads.

monaco 172
All the engines are f4rs mate. What they are saying is regardless of what engine you have weather its from a 182 or a 172 the differences in the driveshafts comes from different suspension setups between the cup and regular.

PH2 172
If you have one of these bolted to the rear of the engine block, its had an engine/box swap.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 107
  172 cup
thanks for the help I really appreciate it , the picture above is what my cup has on it so im guessing at some stage it has had something changed!

thanks