ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to waste money (taken from corsa c)

yeah I get the point that £23k on a corsa is fudging rediculous, but comparing a new car to second hand cars is daft imo. If people were comparing to equally priced new cars it'd make a lot more sense!

Like he could have got a golf GTi, a meggy 225, a focus ST, stretch the budget a bit and he could have had a new impreza wrx sti. These IMO are much more sensible comparisons!

Oh and if the depriciation bothered me I wouldnt be buying a brand new car ;)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I do love all the people quoting what second hand cars he could have got, obviously the kid wanted a NEW car
Would have to agree. Every time anyone buys a new or “nearly new” used car there is at least 10 post along the lines of:

“£XXX for a (car)!”
“it will only be worth £XXX in there years”

People buy new cars because they can and want to. People who use a car forums (like this one) are more clued up than the general public about deprecation etc anyway so its so the comments are so unnecessary.

What a muppet. £23k for a corsa.

Why anyone would buy new is beyond me too, unless you never plan to sell it. Buy a 2 month old demo car that has had a few grand knocked off.

Why anyone would buy new is beyond me too, unless you never plan to sell it. Buy a 2 month old demo car that has had a few grand knocked off.

or get a few grand knocked off a brand new one thats exactly the spec you want?

or get a few grand knocked off a brand new one thats exactly the spec you want?

I had a punto. List price was about £10,000, they'd do it for £8,500 ish, or I could have an ex-demo few months old, with 800 miles on for £6,995. Got it for £6,495.

If you can knock a few grand off new, you can always knock money the ex-demo too.

All imo of course.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

i agree anyone who pays list price

i think this guy payed list for the base car and for the 888 package

See I did a similar thing, with a punto actually, except in my case the car was a pre-reg. its worked out in the end I am actually no better off as the car I have now and am selling is worth less than the brand new car would be now by about the difference in the prices at point of purchase.

i think some of you missed where i said hes paying 18k for the car and ''insurence'' as he put it, takes it into the 20's. . .yes he wanted a brand new car, but its principle, its not worth that much. Clearly if there are many other cars which surpass it all round for the roughly same amount, more or less, that to me is a sign that overspending is going on.

clio 200 F4Rt
initally i was shocked at 23k on a corsa (all told), but then it occured to me people paid 25k for a V6 a few years back, which in my book is just as insane!!

Elise 111R
initally i was shocked at 23k on a corsa (all told), but then it occured to me people paid 25k for a V6 a few years back, which in my book is just as insane!!

No becuase although its niche car, the market will be still bigger and maintain the prices of those V6's for much longer than a barry'd up (over spec'd) corsa.

People have choices and I expect his spec is too personal (too high) so he'd need to find someone who wants a VXR in that colour with that exact spec and willing to pay that price to get a reasonable price otherwise people will say well I'll get a std one and feltle it how i want and save 3- 5k doing so.... unlike the Clio V6 market where you either afford to buy one or you cant.

I still maintain he's an idiot but if it isnt for people like this we wouldnt have the tuners we do to produce our much cheaper tuned hot hatches.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry but theres no danger you can possibly pitch a Cosra against a V6 and i dont care if they fit a monaro unit in it.

In 3 years a well kept V6 will still be worth more than the Corsa VXR regardless of how many bits of fibre glass is sticking out

clio 200 F4Rt

No becuase although its niche car, the market will be still bigger and maintain the prices of those V6's for much longer than a barry'd up (over spec'd) corsa.

People have choices and I expect his spec is too personal (too high) so he'd need to find someone who wants a VXR in that colour with that exact spec and willing to pay that price to get a reasonable price otherwise people will say well I'll get a std one and feltle it how i want and save 3- 5k doing so.... unlike the Clio V6 market where you either afford to buy one or you cant.

I still maintain he's an idiot but if it isnt for people like this we wouldnt have the tuners we do to produce our much cheaper tuned hot hatches.

i wasnt specifically talking about 2nd hand value, just in general, the amount of money for such a (type of) car. I know V6's keep thier value pretty well, especially compared to a corsa (no matter how many 888 bits it has!)

like people have mentioned, for that cash you could have a whole heap of other things.

And for all we know, he may keep it for 10 years or longer, where 2nd hand value is totally irrelivant!

i wasnt specifically talking about 2nd hand value, just in general, the amount of money for such a (type of) car. I know V6's keep thier value pretty well, especially compared to a corsa (no matter how many 888 bits it has!)

like people have mentioned, for that cash you could have a whole heap of other things.

And for all we know, he may keep it for 10 years or longer, where 2nd hand value is totally irrelivant!

would probably be worth mroe than a standard one then aswell!

astra coupe on coilovers
well done matey im sure you will love it :) at the end of the day lads its his money but as it has been mentioned its a new car not a second hand car so why are people qouting 2nd hand cars :) but you should of gone for the nerdburgring :)

Last edited:
I'll wait till he crashes it and have the AP brakes off it... Only good bit of kit listed.. Wasted on that VXR...

888 must be laughing all the way to the bank!

MCS R56
He got the car he wants and he is happy with it.. not quite sure what the issue is!!!

The issue is he is clearly stoopid paying £22,000 for a Corsa. If he is happy then fair enough but the point of the thread is, "how to waste money." This purchase would 9 times out of 10 be considered a waste of money.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
My mate bought his Corsa VXR, pre-reg that had 900 miles as a demo, £15k with climate and bluetooth and 18s... Exhaust, front mount and remap, all things you're advised to do AFTER running in can all be had for around £2k. I know it's not quite to the same spec, but it's a lot more sensible cash wise IMHO heh!

Also, a remap, front mount and exhaust, won't give him 260bhp either, more like 240bhp. Looking here, the remap and exhaust gives you 225bhp, http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/214422/corsa_vxr_888.html and he must've paid full list judging by this one heh...

As there have been quite a few people who'd have the engine replaced under warranty, as they've started mis-firing badly and somethings been majorly wrong internally - seems to be a commonish fault - what's the betting if this one does it, they won't cover it under warranty hehe ;) My mate with the Corsa, was telling me that some bloke on vxronline.co.uk had had to pay VX something like £7k all in to replace his engine, and the bits it had broken inc labour after they refused the warranty pay out when his died because he was running stage 3 or something.

Dan

Last edited:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Doesnt seem too bad to me,

A Corsa VXR is what £16k anyway, His is only £20k (the £3k is insurance isnt it?)

Decent AP's are nearly £2k, an extra 80bhp for another £2k? You 182 drivers dream of those bhp gains.

If I had to, would rather a brand new Corsa VXR, a few choice mods (well, just brakes actually) and a s**t load of track/road driving courses.

Assuming he isn't some sort of driving god I would be quicker than him in a few months.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Ford Racing Puma's were £23K brand new......

And its certainly gonna be quicker than that!

Clio 1.2 Billabong
i bet he'll crash it.

i think thats stupid money on a corsa tbh. but its up to him, he has the money to do that. althought he could be one of those internet liars. trying to brag about a latest 'purchase' but hes just talking out of his arse

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I wouldn't bother with the brakes, the standard items are fine. Also, on the one Evo rollered, that had the VXR Performance Centre remap and the exhaust - and it made 223bhp.

Now, Regal can remap them alone for less than £500 to 230bhp. I know the VXRp one keeps your warranty, but Regal's warranty covers anything that breaks as a proven result of the remap. And if it's not proven, then it's covered under your VX warranty.

Although of course, to save hassle, a savvy customer might have the remap removed by Regal (all the top tuners will put you back to stock as they save your original, manufacturers map) then take the car for warranty work, then when fixed, pay the small fee to have your remap put back on :)

I still don't think that £23k Corsa is gonna make 260bhp though hehe! And everywhere recommends, if you speak to them, having at least 1,000 miles on the car so it's well run in first - he seems to be just having all banged on a brand new car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

maybe in a straight line but come a corner or a track and all that power would
be worthless "best handling fwd car in the world" iirc.

astra coupe on coilovers

maybe in a straight line but come a corner or a track and all that power would
be worthless "best handling fwd car in the world" iirc.
wtf dont think so some how so its better than the integra dc2 :rasp: corsa vxr will be to far a head for the racing puma to even keep up lol