ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to wrap carbon fibre?

2001 1.2 Clio
Got real carbon fibre with sticky backing, thinking of covering my mirrors but dont know the best way to do it, is it better heat it up with a heat gun?

Thanks in advance,
Kennie

BMW E30 325iiiiii
It won't be real carbon fibre its more likely to be a vinyl...go to carbonmods.co.uk they have videos.

Megane RS 250
Never heard of adhesive carbon. Usually you need to wrap it around, then put resin on it and then in the oven. After that you polish it and paint with laquer or matt transparent.

Real carbon is stiff!

Unless you have pure carbon weave, and it looks like this:
small_carbon_sheet.jpg

It's like tissue.

182 Full of Fat
Real carbon fibre needs to be covered in resin/hardener to set it. You can't get "sticky backed" CF. It will be a vinyl.

2001 1.2 Clio
Well it has proper weave and stuff which made me think it was, feels so real, everyone that ive shown it to has said its bound to be real, going to experiment tomorrow and do my rear view mirror and the light surround on the roof, hoping all goes well :p

Rusty Cup
i would say its def likely to be foux carbon but thats no biggy, i would imagine kevlar would be a better material for protecting things (baring in mind this stuff is sposed to go on bikes to protect bits of it) should be easier to work with than real carbon :)

2001 1.2 Clio
Rite this stuff is definately the real stuff, when i went to fit it to the 2 items it was a nightmare to bend and now i have the items looking like pigs sh*t and im down 2 A4 pages of the stuff.

Anybody any tips on how to wrap this stuff around stuff with getting it kinking due to the curvy shapes or corners?

182 Full of Fat
What resin are you using?

Real CF weave wouldn't be a nightmare to bend, it's like a thin material that will shape quite easily round most shapes, corners etc....

Get some pics of said "CF" then peeps can give better advice.

2001 1.2 Clio
I attached a link at the top of the page, its sticky back carbon fibre which is kevlar like due to me being unable to curve it with it looking messy