ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Howling aux belt

Megane R26
Since the weather got cold in December my aux belt started giving a little chirp on start up. Gradually it got worse and when dry steering in the morning the steering would be 'lumpy'. I had the aux belt changed which cured the problem for a a month. Now it's back with a vengeance.

This morning it was so bad. Screeching even when driving in a straight line then it would stop all of a sudden. At times I had no pas at all. Driving back from work it was the same, then I turned the stereo and fans off and it pretty much went back to making no sound. There was still a tiny bit of screeching when dry steering but apart from that it was fine.
I drew a line on the crank pulley to check that wasn't moving and the line was in tact when I checked.

By my guess it's the PAS pump? I have a recon unit to fit this weekend along with a new aux belt kit. I checked the pas fluid level and it was in the middle and the fluid was a light colour.

Does anyone have any ideas?

dan's cast offs.
the wife's car was doing pretty much the same...

IMAG2693_zps7252bc8a.jpg

Clio MK3
I had the same issue on my MK3 Clio, changed the aux belt and that cured it for a month or two, came back with vengence same as yours. I didn't have the steering issues but the noise was really bad, even worse when wet.

The cause ended up being the aux belt tensioner for me.

Megane R26
If if was just he belt that was changed that's the problem.
Thank you Dan.
The tensioner is less than a year old. Do you think it's still likely to be the issue? What do you think it would be about the tensioner that would cause the issue?
Cheers.