ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Htc Touch HD or Htc Touch Diamond??

172 Race Car
Will be looking to upgrade my SPV M700 within the next few weeks/months.

Ive been offered (the ONLY two phones im interested in)

Htc Touch HD - £129.99
Htc Touch Diamond - Free

the HD is very very nice. Does everything i want it too but the fact that the diamond is free is attractive.

Abny thoughts from people in the know? Is the HD worth the premium?

Ford Fiesta ST2
I have the Diamond and am very pleased with it. A very good phone. It has a few niggles but I'd have it again. I would also try for the HD although there is not much difference. I'm sure you could get the price down a bit!!!!

172 Race Car
i might try the orange shop or direct from them. This was in a small authorised retailer that i was offered that deal

DMS

A thirsty 172
Touch HD every time.
The diamond has been plagued with slow performance issues since day one.
The newer ones have been fixed following HTC's latest ROM update and a few minor hardware changes, but it's higly possible you could get an older one that's been in stock somewhere for quite a while.
Everyone I know who's had a Diamond or a Touch Pro has complained about how slow it gets, whereas I know a guy with a HD and he reckons it's fine.
Personally if they want £130 quid for the HD, I'd take the diamond for free, unlock it, sell it on eBay as a SIM free phone, then add the £130 quid to whatever you get for it and buy a Sony Xperia X1. Awesome phones.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
HD is awesome i have it. I dont think theres too much diff compared to Diamond. But hd has a decent screen size. IIRC they have similar processors.

BTW speak to Orange retentions and get the HD for free.
Tell them you dont mind paying say £50 for phone but want £50 credit on your next bill. For some reason that gives you an amazing contract with the phone. Otherwise they discount the phone for you and give you a pants contract.

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
I really do want the HD I think. Will have a look/phone around in a few weeks to see what I can get.

Will look into that Sony too

172 Race Car
Mine current one is almost always on charge as i use it for sat nav all day everyday at work. lasts two days when im off work with a few texts and calls. According to the spec sheet the battery life is better than the model i currently have.

All the pda mobiles ive had have been shite for battery life in comparison to a 'normal' type phone, but im used to it

172 Race Car
Oh right, bit worse than my current one in reality then.

It looks so nice tho and the spec is light years better than mine. Im fininding it hard to resist. Looks like i can get aver 100 quid for my old one on ebay so that makes the decision easier.

172 Race Car
thats where i got the last one, the guy was still drunk from the night before im sure of it.

Got to wait a few weeks yet till im in my upgrade period

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
thats where i got the last one, the guy was still drunk from the night before im sure of it.

Got to wait a few weeks yet till im in my upgrade period

If its the guy with Ted Baker glasses he is well sound.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Im using Duttys latest ROM on my Diamond, speed is fine, no hanging like before.

172 Race Car
Quick question for you riz or anyone who has a hd or diamond. Have Orange removed windows messenger from these devices?

They have done on all the previous Htc based devices ive had

172 Race Car
Ended up getting a Diamond, the HD was bloody hard to turn down but the way i use a phone (with oil on my hands and drop it regualrly) I thought it better to have the smaller, more 'phone like' one.

Plus the fact that it was more expensive than when i first got a quote as my banding had gone down. the diamond cost me £50 but they wanted close to £170 for the HD

I must say it took me a while to get used to it, ive downloaded some really usefull software that lets u customise Touchflow to remove unwanted icons etc. Ive taken the weather off coz altho it looks nice its useless

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
SPB software the best, just get used to google maps/tom tom opening up when on a phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The HD is tip top, but the only downside is the camera. For a 5MP it still has no flash function and is apparently poor in certain conditions.

Bah. Shame really as I would have been interested in one, otherwise.

172, Tiguan
Quite like mine, but small things like the battery life and the camera tripping out is really annoying.

172, Tiguan
Sorry, just have the touch. Lasts a day at best, I just stick it on to charge every night.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Ahh yeah. Sorry, thought you meant the HD. Seems a lot of phones have similar problems. I'm sick of my SE switching itself off or doing things on its own. Crazy.

172, Tiguan
Mine lasts about 30 mins if i'm using Tomtom without the car charger. Battery ownage.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Jon, does yours send double of words when on predictive text? it really pees me off

172 Race Car
WM devices have always been power hungry to a certain extent.

Ive managed to get my memory useage down from 67% on idle to 54% on idle so it will use less power now

172, Tiguan
Jon, does yours send double of words when on predictive text? it really pees me off

Yer! Annoying isn't it. Its when you type without looking at the screen and start the next word whilst the windows software is still spelling the previous word! I find using the stylus makes it a bit easier as you deliberatly press the predictive word.

Somethings about this phone are great, but for all its pros I can think of two cons. Wouldn't have another in a hurry.

172 Race Car
Ive always used the stylus and windows keyboard on previous devices. Tried the 'finger' keyboards on this one but didnt get on with them so im back on it now. Screen still too small on a Diamond to use fat fingers.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Yer! Annoying isn't it. Its when you type without looking at the screen and start the next word whilst the windows software is still spelling the previous word! I find using the stylus makes it a bit easier as you deliberatly press the predictive word.

Somethings about this phone are great, but for all its pros I can think of two cons. Wouldn't have another in a hurry.

THe basic phone functions are terrbile, but the other gizmo's are sound!!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
been using a diamond that was given to me at work and I really like it. Had the choice of a few devices and just wanted the smallest that had a touch screen. Don't want to give it back :(

172beast

Got a Touch Diamond this morning on Orange, already changed to custom ROM lol seems like a fantastic phone tho, screen is so crisp and TF3D is ace!!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
SCreen on HD is miles better than any other touchscreen phoen, just a shame it doesnt work well as a phone!! But its gimmicks are wonderful

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't seen the HD, but the screen on ther Diamond is the best I've used on a pda. The hp thing I've got now is crap, it's got scanlines like an 80s arcade game ffs.

172 Race Car
Got a Touch Diamond this morning on Orange, already changed to custom ROM lol seems like a fantastic phone tho, screen is so crisp and TF3D is ace!!
Im thinking about changing mine but it seams to work fine as is. What are the differences?