ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTPC v Xbox360 v Other?

Need help...

Current options:

1. HTPC - moving my current desktop into a HTPC case and use it as a central storage of music/video etc... as well as a playback machine with possible upgrade of a blueray disc drive at some point.

2. Xbox360 - buy a 2nd Hand 360, use computer or NAS as central storage and stream music/video from it via the 360.

3. Other - suggest an alternative option which can accomplish storage, playback and gaming.

The cost of getting a 360 and NAS is around the same as getting a decent HTPC case and a few upgrades for it. However i really dont know what would be the best option.

360 cannot and not sure if ever will support blueray so thats one point to the HTPC however 360 gaming really appeals to me. I do use the PC for gaming but not as much as i thought i would when i built it over a year ago.

Given the choice and the money which would you go for to meet the needs required or suggest something as an alternative to 1 & 2. Also people who own a HTPC how do you find it?

172 Cup
Although I've just sold my 360 it was excellent as a media centre extender so I'd recommend the Xbox.

Are you able to stream divx via the media centre application or can you only do it through the filesharing application?

Fiesta ST
Divx through file sharing - I do it all the time for my p**n. The last time I tried to do Divx through the media extender it wasn't supported - dunno if its been implemented since.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Pretty sure the files it supports can be played through any of the possible means.

Considering you can pick up a brand new 360 with a new game for £160 these days I'd go with that one.

172 Cup
I don't think the "Media Centre" itself supports DIVX but I simply used the "Media" part of the dashboard and streamed DIVX's from the PC.

How is streaming via WiFi on the 360? Suppose the only thing missing from the 360 setup would be blueray however prices of standalone player are coming down...

Hmm

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Fiesta ST
Again I stream everything via wifi and I get no issues whatsoever - the doggy style is smooth with no jumping.

Dirty E91
DIVx certified, streaming via wifi, blu-ray = PS3

But obviously more expensive than a 2nd hand 360.

360 plays divx and xvid fine no native mkv support though its bigest downer !!

wifi id avoid for anything other than divx 1080p hd is a no no on anything but wired really

media center is a hard one getting it small enough quiet enough fast enough with enough storage capacity without needing a separate nas setup or lots of usb/firewire drives

ps3 is out of the question, mainly for two reason...

1.Cost
2.None of the games appeal to me

I was thinking of a mini mac however i dont believe the cost would be worth it