ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Huge backfire

I can see your point about 200bhp being enough for on the road, but 300bhp on the road would be useful at times for accelerating from say 50 to 140, would be good against Porsches and big Mecs.

350bhp would only be any use on the strip, but seeing as you dont need a progressive system you could use cheaper solenoids.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I suppose 300 would be nice. But whos to say that 200 in a car that weighs less than a tonne wouldnt outdrag a Porsche or big Merc? Obviously there will come a point where the aerodynamics and the gearing will see it running out of legs. But I dont see why 140-150mph shouldnt be attainable with a long enough run.

williams and trophy

mine runs out of legs when it hits the limiter at about 142 ish hehe

and thats only 150 bhp(nearly) at the wheels

cheers

jon

BMW 320d Sport

Im gonna be gutted if next season Im not running low 14s at least Ben. If all goes according to plan I cant see too much trouble hitting the 13 second bracket...time will tell though! I might be eating my words in 6 months time!

Anyway I thought 250bhp GTTs ran late 12s?

williams and trophy

nick mate ur right the big bhp 5s do run 12s

as iv posted elsewhere on the forum its gunna be about june before my mods are finished i reckon so ill be happy with keepin in the 14s (albeit high 14s) for the first 1/2 of the season

but

im hopin to be at most low 14s by the end of the season

i prob wont get the time i want so .........................

any improvement is welcome tho lol

jon

I hoping to get into the 13s, then with a bit of luck the high 12s. Gonna be pushing 350bhp, all i need now is some slicks on the front. ;)

um, yeah, the 320bhp GTTs run high 12s....but they alos weigh a shed load less than a clio, and have their suspension setup for drag racing and weight transfer kept to a minimum.

if a 250bhp clio could get near 14 secs i would be oh so impresssed..........maybe ill be eating my words! haha.

williams and trophy

ben mate im only 0.8 secs off now lol............ and thats without mods

so after some mods i expect to see at least 1/2 sec come off the time

yeah 13s is what im really aiming at but like i said before i dont think ill be running that low timewise lol

BMW 320d Sport

Ben - theres no rocket science involved with the 12 second GTTs. Standard GTTs dont weigh that much less than a standard Clio. Its just down to stripping it out! And come on...drag racing suspension setup? In other words soft wide tyres at the front, rock hard dampers and raised at the back, soft and slammed at the front - please correct me if theres something else to it, but AFAIK thats all you need to optimise your setup for 1/4 miling...

Im certain a 250bhp would get into the 13s without any trouble, loads of Clios packing between 150-190 bhp (just a rough estimate) are running consistent mid-high 14s easily.

The only problem I can see is getting off the line, 60ft times will be the problem, once youre past that, the outcome is pretty much in the bag.

well, i dont go to drag strips, not my cup of tea....kinda all over before it starts kinda thing.

but 320bhp GTTs running mid 12s, and 190bhp clios (weighing more) are in the mid 14s!!!! wacko jacko!

anyhow, drag suspension is almost as complex as track suspension setting. the correct geometry and damping rates, minimising or emphasising weight transfer, squat etc etc......it more complex than slicks and a hard rear end (in the FWD case). I no genius at is since draggin, as i said, aint my cup o tea.

but fairplay to you guys who can do it all!!!

but why the diff between the clios and GTTs?

BMW 320d Sport

Well its hard to understand what all the fuss is about 12/13/14 second times if youre not into 1/4 miling really...but suffice to say that only once youre under 15 seconds are you even serious, 14 second is a very good time for your average hot hatch, 13s and youre talking seriously modified hatches, and factory fast cars, 12s are insanely quick sprinters. By the time youre getting into 12 and 13 second cars that are basically old cheap hot hatches at heart they are built as single mindedly as possible for just 1/4 miling and nothing much else.

But basically it seems like there is not much between the big power/little weight GTTs and lower powered/heavier Clios...but 2 seconds is a lifetime on the 1/4 mile, there is an enormous difference. Very few cars can run 12s.

i was thinking that, super bikes of the 150-180bhp run 10s or so, and we all know just how fast they accelerate!

but doesnt it get the slightest bit boring goin up and up this strip..always the same?

throw me some corners anytime...

williams and trophy

ben mate the corners are on the way into the strip............ and boy are there plenty of them some nice long flat out straights into hairpin rights with dirt tracks straight on fooling the uninitiated lol lotsa fun

as for times...........well considering that a bog standard escy cos (at york a few times) runs about 14.8-15.0 secs.. i think ul agree that a clio to run the same is quite impressive. not to mention that £20-30000 cars are only running high 11s and 12 secs to get a clio (or any other car) anywhere near those kinda times is some feat. as for corners and street racing with a car this fast it prob wouldnt matter how it handled, u could tickle it round coerners n still beat woteva ur racing lol

but the main reason that so many ppl are turning to drag racing is the cheapness of it. yeah goin to track days is definately something to do but its so fukkin dear. track day £100 new pads/disks/tyres afterwards all mounts up mate

drag racing £25 maybe need tyres afterwrds but thats it

cheers

jon

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah thats a good call Jon, the thing about track days is theyre great fun, but apart from the initial cost which is £100-£200, then youve got to look at the wear and tear. There is virtually no hidden cost to 1/4 miling. Only the petrol, £20 to cover entry and race fee and thats it. About the only thing you can knacker is the clutch.

Track days take their toll badly if you really push a road going Clio. Tyres, suspension, brakes, wheels, transmission, they all need sorting. Its no coincidence that my biggest repair bills have been after track days; to me the true cost of a track day is £500-£1000!

VW Transporter 174

"to me the true cost of a track day is £500-£1000!"

Oh be quiet you tragedy.;) Youd really have to be a very poor driver to actually damage your car with limited track work.

Do you have any idea what a car goes through during durability schedule? Any manufacture will typical run a Rough road durabilty of about 20,000 km over belgian blocks, gravel, and assorted potholes. The test will be repeated on a four post shaker, usually to a simulated 42,000km.

A vehicle will be run on a heat soak test, where it is belted around at 8,000km @ 80km, 10,000 @ 120kmh, 8,000 @ 160km/h and finally 4000 @ 200kph.

Short of actually crashing your car, there is very little which you could do in infrequent track days that would significantly wear your car. Obviously tyres and brakes are an exception. Out of 4 track days this season ive paid for 4 new tyres £400 and a set of pads £50 and the only issue with the car was boiling brake fluid which is now sorted.

How much have you spent on trying to get them times down?

172 Slayer:cool:

i would think teh stess on driveline components in 1.4 miling was more than a track day as you gently roll into and out of corners. true, you can pitch it all you want and be truely agressive with it, but youll get nowhere fast.

but dumping a clutch in 1st through to 4th or 5th will put more stress on it than goin round any track fast......

unless you have a very pointy car, which none of us have, you will need to drive smoothly...

besides, i got track rubber and wheels.....cheapo....no worries mate!

williams and trophy

yeah but goin round a track fast puts the same stresses on the bodyshell and suspension components that drag racing puts on the drivetrain

i know which id rather replace

not saying that drag racing doesnt put stresses into these areas ............. just nowhere near as much

BMW 320d Sport

Slayer you clearly have never even been on a track day. YOu obviously havent the faintest clue about driving a car hard. Just stick to what you know - wafting about in your big blue barge. If you havent put any strain on your car after a hard track session, then its cos you drive like a sissy.:devilish: