ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hushing the ktec ’stealth’ exhaust

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone added a centre silencer to the ktec stealth system?

I thought adding a cat would shut mine right up, but it’s still silly loud.

My latest thought is to take it to an exhaust place and get them to fit a centre silencer. Just wondering if anyone has done this and whether it really helped? The rear box is pretty big and does little to silencer the car so I’m not convinced a straight through centre silencer isn’t going to be a waste of money.

I don’t really want to go completely stock as when you’re on track I do feel like a bit more noise adds to the experience.

No idea how this exhaust is so loud. When I got the car with the decat it genuinely made me feel sick & annoyed.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You can buy the system with or without a center silencer. It is definitely quieter with the center silencer, especially if you have a cat fitted.

I have always found the stealth rear box with tail pipe exit to the ground can make it quite boomy and a straight exit pipe definitely improves cabin noise. My last ktec system with center silencer was not that much louder that stock, the induction noise from a filter kit was louder!!

In short a center silencer will definitely help.

I've got the KTEC Stealth with the center silencer and sports cat and the noise is perfect for driving around town etc but I find it way too boomy on the Motorway etc. Im used to driving new cars so my guess is that people used to "modified" would probably think the noise is acceptable.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’m fairly sure the stealth aspect is purely down to it not being visible from the rear, although the one I bought new many many years ago never sat quite right so I always had abit of a donkey dick hanging down.

I had to add the centre section to mine as it was a daily at the time, I agree with what @Mbeau says about the pipe pointing down and causing more ‘boom’ in the car, I’ve never had this issue in the 182 driving to and from track. A decat with no centre section is always going to be loud regardless of exhaust tbh but the downward pipe certainly doesn’t help things in the cabin.

I’m fairly sure the stealth aspect is purely down to it not being visible from the rear, although the one I bought new many many years ago never sat quite right so I always had abit of a donkey dick hanging down.

I had to add the centre section to mine as it was a daily at the time, I agree with what @Mbeau says about the pipe pointing down and causing more ‘boom’ in the car, I’ve never had this issue in the 182 driving to and from track. A decat with no centre section is always going to be loud regardless of exhaust tbh but the downward pipe certainly doesn’t help things in the cabin.
Yeah, you are right. Stealth is nothing to do with noise. Its supposed to be Stealth as in "not seen". I agree with you though, its rare to see a KETC that is actually totally hidden from view.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a few always with the centre silencer (you can buy a centre section from them if you call up) I always found they sounded great but now I'm too old for them they sound loud and boomy!

I've had a few always with the centre silencer (you can buy a centre section from them if you call up) I always found they sounded great but now I'm too old for them they sound loud and boomy!
Im in the same boat ! I'll bet a younger version of me would think my Cup sounded great, but the 41 year old version thinks its too loud ha ha

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I'm surprised anyone sells a single silenced exhaust for a high revving 16v. Its simply too loud for normal use. Sounds epic at full chat but the last one I used people could hear me from over a mile away going full bore through the countryside.
If you are welding one in get it as close to the engine as possible. This will be where its most effective. Ideally in the decat pipe (if you are running one)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've had to use my Clio for the past 2 days and it's loud as f**k. May need to add a centre silencer if I want to go on certain tracks this year 😂

182 mani, decat and only 1 box... Drone central! I do love rev-match downshifts and getting it to pop and crackle though. The lad I work with said he could hear me booting it which is over half a mile away from our unit 😂

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Very glad this thread has come up as I was thinking exactly the same about a centre silencer, albeit for a cat-back 182 Yozzasport system, which has never tried to be stealthy or quiet...

I'm surprised anyone sells a single silenced exhaust for a high revving 16v. Its simply too loud for normal use. Sounds epic at full chat but the last one I used people could hear me from over a mile away going full bore through the countryside.
If you are welding one in get it as close to the engine as possible. This will be where its most effective. Ideally in the decat pipe (if you are running one)

This is very useful knowledge! In a cat-back system, would it therefore be best to have a centre silencer put in directly behind the cat?

I'm hoping a centre section silencer isn't going to have any noticeable difference on throttle response or high-rev performance because my car runs exactly how I want it. Aside from the fact that the noise grabs a little too much negative attention these days :cry:

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I've got the KTEC Stealth with the center silencer and sports cat and the noise is perfect for driving around town etc but I find it way too boomy on the Motorway etc. Im used to driving new cars so my guess is that people used to "modified" would probably think the noise is acceptable.
Hi dave120 which sports cat did you buy and how did it fit, did you have to sleeve it or just bolt straight in?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Very glad this thread has come up as I was thinking exactly the same about a centre silencer, albeit for a cat-back 182 Yozzasport system, which has never tried to be stealthy or quiet...

This is very useful knowledge! In a cat-back system, would it therefore be best to have a centre silencer put in directly behind the cat?

I'm hoping a centre section silencer isn't going to have any noticeable difference on throttle response or high-rev performance because my car runs exactly how I want it. Aside from the fact that the noise grabs a little too much negative attention these days :cry:
I’d replace the cat with a silencer lol

the issue with droning could probably be addressed with some tuning to the sound but this would need some good r&d which costs too much. When the consumers only want to spend £300 options are limited.
Probably the other easy way when purchasing is to not go for the race large diameter bore if you are running near standard power.

I’d replace the cat with a silencer lol

the issue with droning could probably be addressed with some tuning to the sound but this would need some good r&d which costs too much. When the consumers only want to spend £300 options are limited.
Probably the other easy way when purchasing is to not go for the race large diameter bore if you are running near standard power.
This is pretty much what my local exhaust place said about the KTEC. Basically, the exhaust bore is about an inch bigger than it needs to be. But, people associate big exhausts with power/speed so if they made the exhaust smaller people wouldnt buy it.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I Have just added a centre silencer to my Piper cat back system. It has made a nice difference and has eliminated the drone at motorway speeds. Probably only dropped the decibels down by about 3db's but the car is much nicer to drive now.