ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I am be charged £60 for a new bonnet catch!

hi everyone i have just taken my car into my local renault and they are saying i will be charged for a new bonnet catch! it has never been replaced and i was told that this would be free. anyone got any ideas what i should do?

Fiesta ST-2
I R surprised. I think the letter I received about it, said they would only check, and would not cover any costs involved.

Audi A5
You don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. It's your car, your in charge of the safety of your car, you don't have to do anything to it if you don't want to.

Renault have decided their not coving the cost of all the catches now, every Clio has to have a check on their database to see if its covered, usually if its over 10 years old it won't be covered.

Also if its under 10 years old it won't nessesaraly get a new catch. A technician will test it and decide if it needs a new one, if its still in perfect working order he will just lubricate it and put a safety still under the bonnet somewhere.

ITB BG 182
hi everyone i have just taken my car into my local renault and they are saying i will be charged for a new bonnet catch! it has never been replaced and i was told that this would be free. anyone got any ideas what i should do?

Tell em to f**k off and do one. When they try to feed you crap about safty for you blah blah blah just say for £57 discount I'll use WD40 for the same job.

Tell em to f**k off and do one. When they try to feed you crap about safty for you blah blah blah just say for £57 discount I'll use WD40 for the same job.
Haha you a spot on mate telling me anywhere else would be more! I went in a said I wanted to see a manger and he gave me to speal so in my very best voice said no thank you! ;D haha

CursedTitanium 182FF
Does your letter on the second to last paragraph, not read...

In addition, we would recommend that you immediately visit a Renault dealership, who will check your bonnet mechanisms and apply any corrective action free of charge. At your request, your Renault dealer can demonstrate how to open and close the bonnet as well as how to maintain your bonnet mechanisms correctly*.

Clio 182
WD40 probably isn't the best thing as it wouldn't last. You want some proper grease imo.

I assume that really is all they do? Just slap some grease on it to keep the mechanism running freely?

*goes looking for that awesome waterproof stuff he bought years ago by mistake*

Audi A5

The thing is their checking the catch for corrosion build up and reporting weather or not they deem it fit for surpose. They should lubricate your orginal catch for free. (we are at the main dealer I work at) if the catch is heavily corroded then it is advised that it is replaced as it may be stiff to operate and could lead to your bonnet flying open when driving. Yes you could lubricate your corroded catch but how long will that last before it becomes too stiff to work properly? Worth the risk? Not for me personally.

172 Race Car
Customer of mine had the letter 2 months ago. Did nothing about it.

Then on Sunday, at 70mph, on the motorway. BANG!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
what's actually the problem with them? Is it that they just get stuck when the bonnet is being closed? Surely you can just pull the bonnet up to check if its closed in that case?

Audi A5
What happens is the safety catch part on the right hand side gets stiff due to corrosion build up(rust) around the moving parts, if the bonnet is not closed properly this part is suppose to stop the bonnet from flying open when driving, if its not maintained it won't work.

This is the reason for the recall, to check the catch is working fine and to put a safety sticker under the bonnet to tell the driver to make sure that the catch is regularly lubricated. If its heavily corroded around the moving parts lubricating it may make it move freely for abit but the corrosion will soon come back and make it stiff which can be very dangerous, hence why some people are getting advised that their catch is replaced.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just got the letters for the clios. I'm not interested in taking the 182 in as it's always been greased. I am interested in taking the DCI in though as it's new.

What I'm really asking is, will they give me one of those check lists that tells me everything else is wrong to save me the hassle of checking myself ;)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Also wanted to add. This isn't actually a recall. It's a safety check as they will be charging for the work if it needs doing.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Also wanted to add. This isn't actually a recall. It's a safety check as they will be charging for the work if it needs doing.

Only if the original WAS done on the car. If it wasn't, a free catch will be provided.

ITB BG 182
WD40 probably isn't the best thing as it wouldn't last. You want some proper grease imo.

On a few friends Clio's. I took the catch off and cleaned it properly with WD40, in worst case scenario's I have left it in a tub of WD40 and then air dried it after a few hours, its then had copper or white grease applied to it. My charge has been a bottle of Bulmers pear. A little bit different to £60 charge.

You might say ones that are highly correded will still go but none of my mates have had a bonnet lift yet, I have not serviced mine in over 3 years and its still fine ;).

How many has actually gone compared to how many have Renault actually swapped.

Oh and if your saying its for your own safety... I know some one who had a new one from a Renault garage and 24hrs later on the M62 her bonnet flew open causing her to crash and write the car off, Renault denied any fault...