ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have a dream... and it's Clio shaped!

WRX STi (2010 4dr)
So, a while back I made a new friend. The girl who sat opposite me at work turned up one day with a set of Manitou Black mountain bike forks. I was surprised. I race MTB, and had never heard her mention anything interesting on the subject. Turned out they were her hubby's mates. Hubby (Stephen) was also a very keen mtb-er AND, cutting a long story short, has a 182 FF. 2 years down the line and I finally have the means to get a track car. Having driven the 182 quite a bit, I know what I want to build/buy.

Now, I'm not in a hurry. I've just sold my M3 (E46 for those who know about these things) and bought a new Subaru WRX STi, which I wish I could still call an Impreza, but apparently its no longer the done thing. Although the M3 was chipped, Eibached, poly-bushed etc. I never tracked it, as it was my only car. The STi falls in the same camp (although it feels like it could comfortably take the abuse). I've always had fun stuff (imported Impreza, MX-5 etc).

So, I have some funds, and I have some time, and some skill with a wrench. Having just finished re-building the gfs crashed fiesta, I'm looking to get stuck into some track driving and car tinkering.

I'm looking for something I can drive to and from the track, as I don't want to go down the towing route. The main reason for joining the club is to check out the other builds, work out what works, see if I need to gather additional funds, and to get some help.

First pass and it looks like a pre-modded 172 is probably a safe bet. However, I have a hankering to do the project work myself, and keep things low-key. Low-miles 182s on auto trader are well within reach, and I can then do the build myself.

Anyway, I'l keep you updated with progress. Happy to be part of the club.
Rich

PS no one tell my girlfriend as she'll not sign this little project off without massive groundwork!

Listerine & Poledo
If you find no Ph.1's that you like the look of, Ph.2 Cup without air-con would be worth a look

WRX STi (2010 4dr)
All, thanks for your replies, and thanks for making me feel so welcome (a worry, seeing as I don't own a Clio yet).

Some good news: gf took quite well to me getting a toy car for track use, but was very amused by the fact I've joined an owners club forum online. There were lots of Inbetweeners style "car-friend" references last night! She now thinks I'm a Massive Geek. How did she miss that in the past 5 years I wonder? Second question... who cares?!

So, it looks like a PH1 is the done thing, and I can see a nice way forward (cheaper than other options too). Only two complications. Firstly, there's a Civic Type R buyers guide in this month's evo, arrived yesterday in the usual grey addicts envelope. Very tempting. Secondly, and more importantly, do I go for a prepped car, or get an un-modded one and do it myself. First option should work out cheaper, second one may be more satisfying, and teach me a thing or two.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please!
Thanks

Z4 Coupe
Buying a ore modded or standard really is your preference and massively down to your budget.

If it were my budget and my plans then I'd be doing my best to find a tidy and standard PH1 and get started from there..

WRX STi (2010 4dr)
Indeed, and I like the way you've simply ignored my CTR comments.. quite right too!
I've had a good look on ebay, and there are some promising little projects on there for £1 to 2k, so I'm in the right ballpark. Only trouble is, I won't know whether I'm looking at a pup or a pukka job. More research required!

I've always bought based on low miles/few owners = good thing. I'm not to bothered about the odd scratch/dent as its going to be my track rat anyway, and I'm not a car polisher. Sensible mods seem, well, sensible. I guess most PH1 will have an aftermarket something-or-other by now?

I'm not expecting a cage and coil-overs for £2k.

Z4 Coupe
I'd be bothered about mileage, but only to an extent.. Most ph1's are going to be 70,000-80,000 an up now anyway. The one thing you need to be sure on is the service history. Be sure the major cambelt/aux belt service(s) have been done an logged. If your unsure whether it's been done then you need to be factoring in that service £500+ in to your budget.

WRX STi (2010 4dr)
Good advice, thanks.

I see a few people have looked in on the thread; I'd appreciate any ebay/autotrader sightings - particularly any cars that are known to the forum members if they come up for sale. Maybe some one is wavering on selling a ph1 and needs the sniff of folding to push them over the edge. Either way, I'd be interested to hear from you all...