ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I Made a Cake

Saw one of these on Pinterest.

Fancied a photography challenge.

Made a cake.

Spent ages messing with different depths of field and light settings. This was my final.

10105065386_d6d45a6932_c.png

Piñata Cake by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Because I spent so long setting this up, I'd be interested in hearing feedback on the final and what I could have done better and what people liked.

For anyone interested in my other shots and how I made the cake, I wrote a blog... http://www.tomcash.co.uk/pinata-cake

Thanks for looking!

Tom.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I would have tried a birds eye view personally, maybe slightly angled towards the hole.
Would have also put it on a wooden bread board with maybe a cake knife to the side and not had a plate.
Or maybe a cake stand and somehow made the smarties fall on to the board (like a waterfall) somehow.

That's probably the best one from your set though. Nice and sharp on my phone.

Good idea though...

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I sort of agree with the above comment, although on the positive side the light brown/cream background colours give it a good home cooking sort of feel, so I think that you’ve achieved what you set out to do :)

I think a flat surface (wooden chopping board is a good shout) would show it off better personally. I can't quite put my finger on it but the angle doesn't feel quite right, a slightly wider shot with the hole fully visible seems better in my head.

I would have tried a birds eye view personally, maybe slightly angled towards the hole.
Would have also put it on a wooden bread board with maybe a cake knife to the side and not had a plate.
Or maybe a cake stand and somehow made the smarties fall on to the board (like a waterfall) somehow.

That's probably the best one from your set though. Nice and sharp on my phone.

Good idea though...
I sort of agree with the above comment, although on the positive side the light brown/cream background colours give it a good home cooking sort of feel, so I think that you’ve achieved what you set out to do :)
I think a flat surface (wooden chopping board is a good shout) would show it off better personally. I can't quite put my finger on it but the angle doesn't feel quite right, a slightly wider shot with the hole fully visible seems better in my head.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Before I did the session, I had two compositions in mind. I think because I knew what I wanted to do, I didn't consider or try anything else. The idea of an above angle is a good one, I think. I'll try that next time.

As for the wooden board, I'm not sure that would suit? Aren't wooden boards more suited to savory foods such as bread, sandwiches and meat? I've never seen a cake on a wooden board. I like the idea of a cake stand though and I will also try that next time around.

I would have eaten it and forgotten to photograph it. :evil:
That looks tasty!
It wasn't bad! I took it to work for people to try and they ate the lot! My missus or family never got to try any and they weren't chuffed.

I'm gonna try this shoot again later in the year as I think the suggestions above were good and because my family still want to try it!

Thanks again for the feedback peeps!