ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need to understand this......

172cup
It's about wheel alignment...
Granted that a small fraction of toe-in on front wheels is good thing to get the wheels roll parallel,
just wondering why toe-out is generally recommended on clio 172/182/Trophy.

cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Toe out tends to give a car a tendancy to be more lively, so if you like a car that turns in really sharply it often feels good with a small amount of toe in.
Conversely that same effect makes it feel less stable of course, so some people hate it.

I dont think there are any "this is the right answer" replies when it comes to geometry as different people have different prerfences on how they want a car setup.

172cup
You can get the power down better.

good point actually.

Toe out tends to give a car a tendancy to be more lively, so if you like a car that turns in really sharply it often feels good with a small amount of toe in.
Conversely that same effect makes it feel less stable of course, so some people hate it.

I dont think there are any "this is the right answer" replies when it comes to geometry as different people have different prerfences on how they want a car setup.

I see what you re saying there, the car feels agile and turns sharply but it seems to wander a bit on the straighs and on uneven sections, not totally sure I like that.
I might get some toe-in this time and see how the car feels.

thanks for the replies guys.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Toe in can leave it very understeery, parellel is worth a try, IIRC thats what some of the models ran as standard. Its good for tyre wear too if you do a lot of motorway miles!

Sunflower Ph1 172
Toe out on the front is needed as the inside wheel has to turn at a slightly more acute angle than the outside wheel.

172cup
It looks like thats the way to go, I found out the Renault setting for 182 cup packed are 0 12' toe out (+-5')
Is toe out a negative or positive number?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Toe out on the front is needed as the inside wheel has to turn at a slightly more acute angle than the outside wheel.

Thats not something you alter with toe settings mate! The ackerman angle of a clio will induce more angle on the inside wheel than the outside anyway, without needing you to set the car to toe out.