ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I think my throttle body is knackered but I can’t be sure.

172 Cup
For about a year now it has felt lumpy when the engine is cold. Sometimes it feels like I’m driving with the handbrake on. Once it warmed up it seemed to be fine. A few weeks back I was driving along and changed gear at about 4 or 5k rpm. The car lost power, the limp mode light came on and I couldn’t drive over 3k rpm in any gear. This happened a few other times so I took the throttle body off, cleaned it and put it back on. Still felt lumpy when cold and even on long journeys the engine temp would not sit bang on in the middle. Usually just below, rarely on the halfway mark. The other day the same thing happened and it went back into limp mode. Now the engine warning light is on. I think the throttle body is knackered and because there’s not enough air the ecu is setting limp mode. I also think that unburnt fuel got through the engine, the through the cat and that’s why the engine warning light came on. I called Renault and they want £265 for a new throttle body. As you can imagine, I don’t want to pay this. I also don’t want to waste my money on a 2nd hand one as that may have the same problem. Am I right in thinking the throttle body is at fault and what can be done to check it is? Also can it be repaired? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

172 Cup
Ah b****cks. I thought that might be the case about the lambada sensor but was praying once the throttle body was replaced the light would go out. I had a decat pipe on a while back for about 9 months and that light never came on.

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
I am having my TB refurbished by JMS this weekend... May be worth talking to them?

Clio 182 CUP In Silver
Could be temp sensor if its running bad when cold, the F4R engines do have a lumpy idle when cold and slighty at traffic lights as its effectivly a tuned engine, same as when you install cams on other cars. People can sit here guessing for ages and not be right, get it on a code reader and see what it throws up.