ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I this a normal or apossible problem?

172 Flamer
Ok, this might be a little hard to explain but here goes. I have a Clio 172, 02 plate all standard apart from the Ktec stealth exhaust.

If I am stationary and start to lift the clutch and pull away normally, the revs tend to drop very quickly and the car seems to splutter a little and I have to quickly dip the clutch and apply more throttle to stop the car from stalling. Its like I am not applying enough throttle but in fact I am but as soon as you get that biting point and the car starts to move the revs die quickly causing the car to want to stall or kangaroo. Its a pain pulling out of junctions as you either run the risk of stalling as you pull out or have to over rev to get the car going. My wife hates driving the car as she just keeps stalling it and to be honest I have a few times. Its worse when reversing as you use less revs when reversing into a parking space than pulling away for example. Its also a real pain when you are trying to hold the car at biting point on a hill (not using handbrake) as you either put to much revs and the car wants to roll backwards or not enough and it wants to stall. So you are constantly playing with the clutch and throttle to get it to hold at the biting point but as soon as you think you get it right and lift off the clutch and apply more throttle the revs start to drop. Makes it really hard trying to pull out of junctions at times that may be on a slight hill or if someone stops to let out.

So, I hope that made sense. Is this kind of normal for a 172 and something I just need to get used to, requiring a lot more revs (never had this in any car before) or possibly something not quite right with the car and needs looking at?

clio cup 172
my cup 172 is similar, you do have to concentrate a bit when pulling away from stationary, mine doesn't sound as bad as yours tho and bearing in mind my cup had a new clutch and clutch cable fitted last July.